Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has picked up a "B"-prefix, British-proofed Ballister-Molina. There are British proofs on the slide, frame, and barrel. There appears to be assembly numbers on the grip strap and inside the slide. These numbers do not match - Should they be? If they should be matching and are not, what is your best guess on the value with mis-matched numbers.

·
Silver Bullet member
33,851 Posts
Its okay that the numbers do not match, all Ballester-Molinas have that.

The grip strap is the factory assembly number, the serial number is, well, the serial number.

Nice find BTW, there were only a small number (5000 I think) B-prefix Ballesters.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
I coincide with Fushigi's opinion about numbering of the guns, I've got a couple,unissued,numbered B5853 with #19368 on the grip strap and #B6473 and # 20488 on the grip strap-The pistols with proofs like the one your friends pistol show were destined for sale to the civilian market after the war, so they proofed them-There is a small batch of Ballesters unproofed that somehow got into the hands of collectors-In my case I have one of each-

·
Registered
149 Posts
Serial Numbers of the Ballester Molina Pistols

The serial number of a Ballester-Molina pistol always appears on the left side of the mainspring housing and on the underside of the slide. It may also appear on the top area of the chamber. By serial number it is understood the number that was assigned by the factory (in this case HAFDASA) and that was used for inventory and control purposes. Obviously, for a pistol to be "matching" the numbers that appear on the underside of the slide and on the left side of the MHS must always be the same.

Many Ballester-Molina pistols also bear an inventory or contract number. It is a common mistake to confuse the inventory number with the serial number, but if what was explained above is followed, this should not happen.

The Ballester-Molina pistols that were acquired by the British Government during WWII, in addition to the serial number, they bear a contract number. This contract number was stamped on the right side of the slide, above the trigger opening. This number starts with the letter "B" and a period, e.g. B.1976. In order to asses if a pistol is "matching", it has to be field stripped and the serial numbers compared.

The Ballester-Molina pistols that were acquired by the Argentine Army also bear an Argentine Army contract number. This number was stamped on top of the slide, on the chamber and on the right side of the slide. The same applies to the BM pistols that were acquired by the Argentine Air Force.

The Argentine Federal Police had their Ballester-Molina pistols marked by HAFDASA with a police contract number. The contract number was stamped on top of the slide and on the chamber. In order to verify if a pistol is matching it has to be field striped and the serial number inspected. If the slide matches the frame, then barrel has to have the same contract number as the slide. If all this happens, then the pistol is matching.

If the guidelines given above are observed, the serial number and contract numbers can be identifed and will not be mistaken one by the other.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My numbers on mine follow these rules too. B3953 with gripstrap #16585. So far the numbers are in line with Fushigi's comments.

·
Registered
149 Posts
While surfing the Internet I found pictures of a Ballester-Molina pertaining the WWII British purchase. This pistol has serial number 21610 and contract number B.7575. Are more of these pistols out there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts