Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have any parts to help rebuild a Molina .45 please let me know. I have a slide, barrel, and frame. I need all other associated parts.

I know about Numrich, Tower, Dealer's Warehouse, and Sarco, so please reply if you have parts or know of others places that do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If all you have is a stripped frame, slide, & barrel and want to buy all the other parts then you are potentially embarking upon a very expensive mission. Depending on how many parts you already have in your possession, it could be cheaper to buy a used $400 Ballester-Molina and throw what you have away than try to purchase all the remaining parts. The exception might be a long-term restoration project where you don't care how much money you end up putting into the project. If you have a complete and populated frame to begin with then you are in a much better position since all the hard to obtain parts are located on the frame.

Conversely, the slide assembly is the easiest to find parts for. For starters, there are seven 1911/A1 parts that interchange perfectly with Ballesters. Those parts are the barrel, swinging link, link pin, barrel bushing, recoil spring plug, recoil spring, and recoil spring guide. Additionally, some 1911 magazines work well; others won't hold the slide back on the last shot. USGI military mags usually work as well as any.

Trigger/trigger bar assemblies are especially hard to find since they are high-breakage parts. A trigger/sear bar assembly from a Star PD can be made to work nicely with just a little grinding. Fortunately, the pivot pin hole is in exactly the same position as a Ballester trigger, and the Star part is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of an original Ballester part (assuming you can even find one). Numrich usually has Star Pd triggers in stock.

Since you have already listed the usual parts supplier suspects then you can reasonably expect to find a used or unissued disconnector, extractor, firing pin, firing pin spring, and maybe a sear for $150-$200. Small springs can be adapted from existing spare parts. If we assume that you have a usable set of sights on the slide then that leaves the hammer, hammer pivot pin, main spring, firing pin retainer, and magazine catch assembly. The latter item can be especially hard to find. Expect to pay $40-$60 for a complete mag catch assembly.

If you don't have any of the frame parts then expect a considerable amount of difficulty locating them unless you just get lucky.

Good luck with your project. If you can build a Ballester for a low enough figure then you should be pleased with the end result. Ballesters perform very well indeed.

-Bob

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
A wild shot would be to try Springfield Sporters in Pa. and

all three have a web site
what a country and
dealer warehouse

I remember buying these pistols in the1970s for 69$ each but dont remember the outfit I got them from but Sarco comes to mind.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,146 Posts
Springfield Sporters sold lots of the Ballester some years back. They liquidated their firearms business but still sell parts. The website does not show the Ballester, but it
would be worth a call. I did a lot of business with them once upon a time, and they frequently didn't list parts that they had.

·
Registered
109 Posts
other compatible parts

Hello Robert,

Are the Star PD trigger components also compatible: trigger pin, trigger plunger, Trigger Pin Retaining Plunger, Trigger Plunger Spring, firing pin, firing pin spring, etc, compatible? Thank you.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I believe the Colt 1911A1 plungers and spring that fit in the tube that holds the safety and slide release are compatible, or close, and can be fitted. All the coil springs can be made from stock springs, if you have any original Ballister springs to compare them to or you can make your own from the proper guage spring wire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
making my own springs...

I believe the Colt 1911A1 plungers and spring that fit in the tube that holds the safety and slide release are compatible, or close, and can be fitted. All the coil springs can be made from stock springs, if you have any original Ballister springs to compare them to or you can make your own from the proper guage spring wire.
Thanks for the tips. I have never made a spring in my life and don't have a clue where to start doing something like that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you have any parts to help rebuild a Molina .45 please let me know. I have a slide, barrel, and frame. I need all other associated parts.

I know about Numrich, Tower, Dealer's Warehouse, and Sarco, so please reply if you have parts or know of others places that do.
If your plan falls thru to build. I would be interested in your parts...I have a BM converted to .22 and would like to go to .45

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
For coil springs the dimensions you build or buy to are wire guage, number of coils, length and outside diameter. I usually find what I need rooting through the stock coil springs at Ace Hardware and cutting them to length, stretching them if needed. Brownells also has a huge assortment of springs. From the little I know of making them from wire, usually piano wire, you have to wrap them on an undersized mandrel because they spring back a bit. Some old gunsmithing and metal working mauals will have directions but the array of stock springs today is so great I've never needed to do it, thank God!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Do a google search for 'Ballester Molina grips'....I was scrolling through the search results for that term..and found a place that had quite a few Ballester small parts listed. Don't recall the name of the place however...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.