Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with Arsenal in Bulgaria. Today the official announcement was made that Bulgaria (Arsenal) will no longer be manufacturing the Makarov Model pistol, or any variants thereof. Production has already ceased and there are no plans, I was told, to produce any more Makarov Pistols or parts in the future.

Reasons given were changing world markets, increased problems with exporting to various countries, (including the USA) and the decline of the popularity of the 9x18 Makarov Cartridge with militarizes around the globe. It seems when there was a lot of surplus ammo floating around to be had for cheap, lots of countries loved the PM, but now those supplies have all but dried up, and now everyone wants to modernize and go with the 9mm Luger round as standard for sidearms.

So as it now stands, Russian is the only country with the tooling in place to produce the PM, and they can no longer export it to the USA. Better hang on to your Makarov's Guys and Gals, the prices are going to go up. Fast.

-George

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Say it ain't so, Joe-rge!

SlimTim

·
Super Moderator
6,166 Posts
Well fooey. And I can't imagine another country that will export Makarovs in the future. Maybe Cuba after Fidel is gone and we feel comfortable invading.

Are there any other countries we could possibly expect to export Makarovs? If Romania is sending us Tokarevs could it be possible that we'll get their Maks? Are there expiration dates to the Chinese and Russian arms import bans? I don't think so.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are there any other countries we could possibly expect to export Makarovs?
What about the countries that used to be part of the Soviet Union such as Ukraine, Georgia and 12 others?

·
Super Moderator
6,166 Posts
What about the countries that used to be part of the Soviet Union such as Ukraine, Georgia and 12 others.
Well George, what about those countries?

We've seen one destroy their Makarovs as they changed to 9mm (Latvia?). Maybe one of the others would like some cash instead.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
:eek:

regards....roger

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think I'm going to get sick. I can't even find the right emoticon to express how I feel. This is a really sad day. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Friends,

Give sorrow words! The grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er-fraught heart, and bids it break.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What I find disturbing, even more so than the prospects of no more Makarov importations, is the decline or ceasing perhaps of 9x18 ammo production. Surely with as many Makarovs and other 9x18 pistols in the US, ammo will be available several years down the road, don't you think?

·
Super Moderator
6,166 Posts
CZ-82's, P-64's and PA-63's have kept the market for ammo expanding. As long as ammo manufacturer's see a growing need for 9x18 I imagine they can convince themselves to remaine tooled for production and even have some incentive to experiment with producing new rounds.

But we need an economist to join the board to project what happens when 9x18 pistols are no longer being imported. There will be lots of them in country, but it won't be a growing market. My hunch is that causes less incentive for foreign ammo manufacturer's to spend research dollars on new rounds. We'll always see 9x18 manufactured, but if the market is a finite number of pistols I suppose the price of the ammo may increase.

·
Gold Bullet Member
533 Posts
Maybe, Just Maybe , This could be the first step in a direction that would let the Bulgarian version go on the C&R listing....................

·
Super Moderator
6,166 Posts
I don't think 9x18 in the sealed can has been available for 7 or 8 years.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dont think I would be worrying about ammo availabilty yet.Look at 7.62x25.You can still find crates of the stuff,and is being commercially produced.What is the latest pistol chambered in this round-the cz52 at 50+years?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I dont think I would be worrying about ammo availabilty yet.Look at 7.62x25.You can still find crates of the stuff,and is being commercially produced.What is the latest pistol chambered in this round-the cz52 at 50+years?
The very similar .30 Mauser is still being produced and they stopped making those pistols in 1939, I think. Anyway, it's very possible former Soviet republics like Ukraine are using Maks -- didn't we just see a recent picture of the soldier from Tajikistan with a Mak? Not cheap to replace an army's pistols and these new countries aren't rich. The demand for 9X18 ammo in the US has got to be growing. If there is the demand, manufacturers and importers will fill it.

·
Super Moderator
6,166 Posts
Hey, no doubt torpeau - if the round sells, there will be manufacturers.

But when the maks were originally flooding the country; Wolf, Silver Bear, and several American manufacturers were producing runs of different rounds to see what sold. How many of you folks have seen Federal Hi-Shok 90-gr JHP? I don't know if we'll ever see that kind of enthusiasm and experimentation again from ammo makers.

Plus, there were all the negative posts about " ... the (Blah blah) was only made for 95-grains ..."

1 - 20 of 87 Posts