Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I went to visit an old boss of mine. We made our usual track to Aberdeen, but eventually ended up in their back lot. Just a few photos. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Looks like the rear of a PzkWIV and a Grant/Lee next to it. The Sherman looks like a later version M4A3 Calliope with the rocket launchers with the longer 75mm barrel and the last couple I dont know what they are? Missle carriers?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ontos (M50) was 6 106mm RRs mounted on a light chassis. Ontos is Greek for the "Thing". Though they had very little armor protection, the Ontos did fantastic work in street fighting and in long shots across valleys (think Khe Sahn). They were air-portable and could be slung loaded. One of my old gunnys worked with them and he said when all six tripped off, it shook the world.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The trouble with the "Ontos" was the firing signature of the recoilless rifles, the low amount of ammo it carried, and having to be exposed to enemy light arms fire to reload.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Been there many times over the years.
They keep moving things around and repainting them.
All their stuff has suffered greatly in the open.
Apparantly a move is afoot to move and somewhat stabalise the collection.

They have lost a number of pieces over the years-mostly to folks who are taking better care of them.

The trackless panzer is a P-3 it used to be in the open field. one of the links failed nd I have pics of it dangling.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few more from the same trip. What needs to be done is for the government to house all of these vehicles inside a new building. We have lots of wounded warriors, who could be kept on active duty, and used as guides for the place. Just my thoughts.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
Boy, those bring back memories of my times at Aberdeen (April-August 1966, summers 1972 and 1973). Ought to digitize my slides (a bunch) from those times.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,573 Posts
Lots of memories for myself, school in APG in 71, quite a few nights of guard duty in the "Tank Park". Most guys hated it but all I did was climb on every one, thing I hated was the skunks..........when 1 cut loose in the fog......funk.........

·
Gold Bullet with Oak clusters member
1,464 Posts
There used to be a ten acre field with all the armor in the open. I climbed all over them and into any with open hatches as a kid. I remember the King tiger with splash marks in the frontal plate from 75mm or 90 mm rounds.
At least I got to see them up close once.
I hear that some later base commanders started to dispose of the collection.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
No one has ever provided funds to put them indoors. They do what they can to keep them from rotting, but steel outside will rust. The German tanks, in some of the photos above, show the original red lead undercoat, which does a remarkable job keeping them from rusting. If you're looking at the M3 in the top photos, it isn't rusted. The American tanks used to sit in a row in the median of a road leading to the museum. They had a special coating applied which was supposed to protect them long term. That coating is rust colored. The Sherman Calliope in the photos has been repainted, but the M3 still has the unusual coating. I finally finished getting all my old photos from Aberdeen up: http://cid-c81bdb095ba4094a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Aberdeen98

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
Wonder what they will do with Leopold (the K-5(e) 28cm) and the 280 "Atomic Cannon"? Be - interesting to see THOSE moved.

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Wonder what they will do with Leopold (the K-5(e) 28cm) and the 280 "Atomic Cannon"? Be - interesting to see THOSE moved.
Aye, or the 16" coast defense gun, they had enough trouble moving that from the range it sat on to the museum.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Aye, or the 16" coast defense gun, they had enough trouble moving that from the range it sat on to the museum.

I don't know if it will be a "problem". After all they moved a U-Boat across Chicago!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
In the mid 90s there was a Tiger tank on Salisbury Plain as a target. That just boggled my mind.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts