Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the AK game with a California "Featureless Built on a stock Saiga 7.62x39

I decided to get back into the AK game. I sold my AKs prior to moving back to California in 2011. though I still have my: retro AR, PTR-91, and USGI M1 Carbine, which I made featureless CA compliant (the M1 Carbine already was, of course)

My first AK was a Chinese Poly-tech I got in the 1980s. I even carried it as a trunk weapon on the S.O. for awhile, until the Sheriff saw me with it on a high profile drug raid he showed up at, and said it looked "too evil!". I sold in about 2000 when I disability retired. I kept the magazines, though.

For the 4 year sojourn of living in free America, I had several Yugo M70s VZ58, WASRs, IO AK clone (terrible weapon), and about 5 or 6 Saigas that I restored to original configuration: pistol grip, handguard retainers, AK103 breaks, etc. I sold the last of them when I moved back to California in 2011.

As I said already, I still have my legally possessed in California pre-1-1-2000 magazines. This Saiga (which should be at my LGS tomorrow to start its 10 day jail sentence) I will keep stock (featureless, no pistol grip or muzzle devices) using just enough 922R parts to use my high caps.: Tapco followers, Tapco Piston, Tapco hammer and disconnector. I may put a RAM ambi speed catch on it, too. I had one on a AK103 build and liked it.

I have a scarce Saiga factory Dragunov thumbhole stock for when I leave the state (or maybe with a Solar Tactical Kydex paddle). It is only one 922R part, and only counts as a stock for 922 parts count. I actually like the feel of it. I hate the feel of the Tapco T-6 Saiga stock/pistol grip. UGH. The Dragunov feels pretty good, though.

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I just shoot my regular stock Saiga, the one with the non-evil plain non-pistol grip stock. Certainly that plain buttstock keeps it from being capable of doing any damage if it ever decided to crawl out of my gun safe on its own as evil rifles apparently are known to do.

Since I have my legally possessed grandfathered hi-cap Saiga mags, I am fine, until they change the law.

I am glad you kept those grandfathered magazines in the State of Kalifornia while you were out of state as bringing them back in would not be a good thing with the state.

My AR, however, has a "bullet button" which obviously makes it wonderfully safe and harmless.

This is the California Safety Rifle:

I decided to get back into the AK game. I sold my AKs prior to moving back to California in 2011. though I still have my: retro AR, PTR-91, and USGI M1 Carbine, which I made featureless CA compliant (the M1 Carbine already was, of course)

My first AK was a Chinese Poly-tech I got in the 1980s. I even carried it as a trunk weapon on the S.O. for awhile, until the Sheriff saw me with it on a high profile drug raid he showed up at, and said it looked "too evil!". I sold in about 2000 when I disability retired. I kept the magazines, though.

For the 4 year sojourn of living in free America, I had several Yugo M70s VZ58, WASRs, IO AK clone (terrible weapon), and about 5 or 6 Saigas that I restored to original configuration: pistol grip, handguard retainers, AK103 breaks, etc. I sold the last of them when I moved back to California in 2011.

As I said already, I still have my legally possessed in California pre-1-1-2000 magazines. This Saiga (which should be at my LGS tomorrow to start its 10 day jail sentence) I will keep stock (featureless, no pistol grip or muzzle devices) using just enough 922R parts to use my high caps.: Tapco followers, Tapco Piston, Tapco hammer and disconnector. I may put a RAM ambi speed catch on it, too. I had one on a AK103 build and liked it.

I have a scarce Saiga factory Dragunov thumbhole stock for when I leave the state (or maybe with a Solar Tactical Kydex paddle). It is only one 922R part, and only counts as a stock for 922 parts count. I actually like the feel of it. I hate the feel of the Tapco T-6 Saiga stock/pistol grip. UGH. The Dragunov feels pretty good, though.

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,655 Posts
I am glad you kept those grandfathered magazines in the State of Kalifornia while you were out of state as bringing them back in would not be a good thing with the state.
I've heard it said anyone who moves out of the state after the bans have taken effect then moves back would have a hard time proving they fall under any of the "grand fathering" exemptions, so yeah you might want to rethink the whole my mags are preban and safe line... Although I've laso heard it said the odds of being called on preban mags is rather low as long as you keep your guns from running off and doing illegal things on their own ;)

Me I'll just stay in KY and not worry about the whole mess :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard it said anyone who moves out of the state after the bans have taken effect then moves back would have a hard time proving they fall under any of the "grand fathering" exemptions, so yeah you might want to rethink the whole my mags are preban and safe line... Although I've laso heard it said the odds of being called on preban mags is rather low as long as you keep your guns from running off and doing illegal things on their own ;)

Me I'll just stay in KY and not worry about the whole mess :)
I checked with DOJ. It doesn't matter if you took them out for a day or four years. As long as you lived in CA prior to 1-1-2000, and possessed the magazines prior to 2000. I had registered AW AR15 and AK in the 1990s, and used them and the mags on the SO. There are even qualification records for the M1 carbine, AR15, and AK prior to 2000. Also I was Calif LEO 20 years prior to 2000, and had an FFL in CA for 35 years prior to 2000. DOJ was happy. Just in case, I keep my registration paper for the two AW with me to show I had them prior to 2000.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
+1. My impression was that a non-resident bringing in hi-cap mags was a problem. More to it than that, apparently. I haven't seen mag arrests but the CA legislature is back on their antigun tear again.

I checked with DOJ. It doesn't matter if you took them out for a day or four years. As long as you lived in CA prior to 1-1-2000, and possessed the magazines prior to 2000. I had registered AW AR15 and AK in the 1990s, and used them and the mags on the SO. There are even qualification records for the M1 carbine, AR15, and AK prior to 2000. Also I was Calif LEO 20 years prior to 2000, and had an FFL in CA for 35 years prior to 2000. DOJ was happy. Just in case, I keep my registration paper for the two AW with me to show I had them prior to 2000.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1. My impression was that a non-resident bringing in hi-cap mags was a problem. More to it than that, apparently. I haven't seen mag arrests but the CA legislature is back on their antigun tear again.
Yes, that is where the problem for most is. Whether they had the magazines prior to 1-1-2000 is irrelevant IF they did not live in California with the magazines before 1-1-2000. It was my good fortune to have lived here then, and had the mags going back to the 1970s (an advantage of being old, I guess). I got the info from DOJ's own info site. It does not matter if I left the state with the mags for 5 minutes, then returned, or left for 4 years, then returned with them.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Me, too.
I have grandfathered mags for almost everything but those will probably become illegal soon if CA has its way.
Pretty silly law as anyone can change mags quickly or just bring an extra gun or two like Jesse James did.
Everybody wants to shoot the 7.62X39 Saiga AK - my Russian wife's favorite as she was trained on Kalashnikov rifles back in the USSR days.

QUOTE=imarangemaster;3021041]Yes, that is where the problem for most is. Whether they had the magazines prior to 1-1-2000 is irrelevant IF they did not live in California with the magazines before 1-1-2000. It was my good fortune to have lived here then, and had the mags going back to the 1970s (an advantage of being old, I guess). I got the info from DOJ's own info site. It does not matter if I left the state with the mags for 5 minutes, then returned, or left for 4 years, then returned with them.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it out of jail today! Love it. First glance FSB is straight and front sight centered. Serial number begins with "13" so I am assuming using the earlier system where it means 2013 production. It was imported by RWC Group, and I think he got it from Davidson's Wholesale in AZ.

The certificate says 137mm 5 shot 100 meter group, so that's roughly 5' at 100 yards. I know my prior Saigas would do 2-3 MOA easily. Maybe Ivan had too much Stoli the night before. I worked graveyard last night, so I had to stay up to pick it up. I will look more detailed at it later and give more data. I hope to put the 922R stuff on this week sometime.

Here's what we do in California to use our pre-ban high-caps legally: These are mine (except the Saiga. My Saiga is on the way to the dealer).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATES with pixs! Before anyone in California wets themselves and starts pointing fingers screaming "felon" for the 2nd and 3rd pictures, they were taken in Southern Oregon where we went camping with my grandson and daughter....

California "Featureless"

Configured for "Free America"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.