·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
64,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My one example of a Japnese pistol.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
And a very expensive one it is! Undoubtedly one of the nicest Nambus I've saeen in 35 years of trolling gunshows. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
314 Posts
i don't mean to hi-jack your thread but i thought this might be best asked to someone who actually owns a nambu. i heard that these are for the most part very unsafe to shoot, is this true?

the person/place (i cannot remember where or who) that told me this mentioned that the Japanese were so rushed to make these that the quality took a serious turn for the worst and that they were basically trigger operated grenades. is any of this true? thanks for educating the ignorant/poorly informed.

BTW that is the nicest looking one i have seen in a while, good find!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,820 Posts
Total BS. They are safe to shoot. The ones that folks say are unsafe are the type 94 pistols as their sear is exposed and you can fire the gun with pressure there as well as on the trigger.

Some also say some of the late war Japanese rifles are unsafe to shoot. More BS. Only some of the school rifles are unsafe to shoot, most lack rifling, and these are marked.

·
64,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't mean to hi-jack your thread but i thought this might be best asked to someone who actually owns a nambu. i heard that these are for the most part very unsafe to shoot, is this true?

the person/place (i cannot remember where or who) that told me this mentioned that the Japanese were so rushed to make these that the quality took a serious turn for the worst and that they were basically trigger operated grenades. is any of this true? thanks for educating the ignorant/poorly informed.

BTW that is the nicest looking one i have seen in a while, good find!

At any given time any given gun might be unsafe. This is true whether it is a Nambu, Luger, S&W, Ruger, Colt. etc. Stuff does happen.

The change in quality was in the outward appearence. Look at the late German weapons.

An exception (as Mike noted) could be the Type 94. Even it would cause no problems if handled properly.

I remember some years ago, a guy came into a gun shop owned by a friend of mine. This guy was complaiing about the Ruger Super Blackhawk he ha purchased from the shop. He claimed that is was a piece of crap, etc.

Looking at the pistol the top half of the cylinder was gone and the top strap of the pistol was in a "V" shape. He claimed that the shop and Ruger owed him for the pistol and the damage to his mobile home. Seems he was shooting the pistol and the missing part of the cylinder went thru the wall of the mobile home just missing his wife.

It developed that the guy re-loaded his own 44mag rounds. Seems like at the pistol range, about three feet of flame or so would come out of the pistol when fired. And on the day in question he was shooting his re-loads.

Now tell me -- who or what was the piece of crap.

·
Registered
314 Posts
well i would define a piece of crap as being flawd in design not in operation. i understand idiots are everywhere and there is no product that can accomodate them. i was just asking if there was any known flaw in design of the nambu and you answered that question, the person that told me that must have been thinking of the type 94. thanks for your replies guys!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Much of the lasting information regarding how unsafe these pistols are came from training films produced for our soldiers and morale boosters for the public during WWII.

According to those films, anything that wasn't allied equipment (especially American) was junk or inferior.

If you search you may find these films at online auction.

Another source of the bad reputation comes from G.I.'s who brought these pistols back and found domestic ammo can be forced into them with mixed results and some of the surplus Japanese ammo had been vandalized and stored in unsafe conditions.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow! if you are going to own ONE japanese pistol.....THAT'S the one to have..

Very slick!

·
64,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have a holster for it (somewhere).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice Charilie, would love to see the holster if you have time to post it later,

Ed

·
64,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to say this, but I will have to find the holster or holsters/ I am not really sure where they are except that they are in the basement - hopefully.

·
64,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thinking (sometimes I am slow), I think that I posted pictures of the pistol on the NAPCA site, and photos of the holster would be an addition there also.

·
Gold Bullet member
250 Posts
Hi, I have a Papa, Baby, one small guard T14, one large, a 94 and the revolver. You could say many things about the different ways countries came up with weapon design and some I'd agree aren't the best choices, but I sure wouldn't call any of these pieces of junk. You can bet I wouldn't carry the 94 loaded but it is still fun to shoot and no worse on accruacy than most other military pistols.
The Baby Nambu pistol was really a work of art, pretty damned complicated for such a small caliber round, basically a Papa just scaled down. Anyone out there loaded for the Baby? I haven't had time to come up with a decent load yet, it sure doesn't take alot of powder.. Regards, Guns[I collect, therefore, I am]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts