Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Does anyone have any experience with these mounts for the M38?
I'm especially interested in how well they stayed on, held zero, etc.
Those strain screw look kind of small to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Merle, spend the few extra bucks and get the S&K. I've had both and know whereof I write. The B-Square 98 Mauser mount isn't too bad, but the M96 and M38 models are much too flimsy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Go to scopemounts.com and check the pics. They have mounts for both CG and Husky. S&K is a family business, and the people there are great to deal with. To install the mount, you simply remove the sight ladder and spring, and attach the mount using the supplied hardware. Takes about 10-15 minutes, and you can return your rifle to issue condition in about the same time.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Merle, spend the few extra bucks and get the S&K. I've had both and know whereof I write. The B-Square 98 Mauser mount isn't too bad, but the M96 and M38 models are much too flimsy.

OK, thank you.
I noticed that S&K has two different models available.
I didn't know there was a difference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have a short rifle that was cut-down from an M96 long rifle (no "ears" at rear of sight, straight bolt handle), you need the CG mount; if you have a purpose-built short rifle ("ears" at rear, bent bolt handle), you need the Husky mount. What are the markings on your receiver ring?

·
Copper Bullet member
403 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
So the little screw at the back, in between the ears has to come out? There in lies the problem, it's missing its head so looks like a tap and drill and then tap out to a different size.
Cheers
NED

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a short rifle that was cut-down from an M96 long rifle (no "ears" at rear of sight, straight bolt handle), you need the CG mount; if you have a purpose-built short rifle ("ears" at rear, bent bolt handle), you need the Husky mount. What are the markings on your receiver ring?

Both of mine are Husquavarnas.

Since I'm obviously not up-to-date on the M38 story, does this mean that only C. G. made the M96s and only Husquavarna made the M38s? I always thought that both companies made both models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thank you.
I noticed that S&K has two different models available.
I didn't know there was a difference.

update:

I went into their websight & took a close-up look at both mounts.
I can plainly see the difference - now that I'm paying attention.

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, I know the straight/bent bolt handle thing isn't a hard and fast rule, but it'll work in most cases. Probably shoulda said "usually."

As to scope mount installation, no, that little set screw at the back of the sight doesn't come out. You just drive out the pin holding the sight ladder to the sight base, then install the mount in place of the sight ladder. Don't even need to remove the handguard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts