Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just acquired my first b barrel M91, and noticed that it had the VKT 00 marking on the side of the barrel. Is this rare? or is it standard? The marking is on the left of the barrel at the stock line.

BTW, this one shoots GREAT!
Probably my favorite mosin I have right now...

Thanks, and glad to be on the boards!

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
Not super rare but not seen too often either. I got one like that several years ago and have never run across another one myself. Have seen a few posted here from time to time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have what I thought is a standard VKT it also has that same stamp on the barrel at wood line, no B stamp on barrel. Is 36<VKT>00 an identifier for a B barrel ?

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
VKT rifles will be pressure proofed 36vkt00. The majority of B barrel rifles that I've seen are simply marked 3600. Sometimes you will run into a B barrel that is pressure proofed 36vkt00.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VKT rifles will be pressure proofed 36vkt00. The majority of B barrel rifles that I've seen are simply marked 3600. Sometimes you will run into a B barrel that is pressure proofed 36vkt00.
ok. thanks, that clears it up. like I said...this is my favorite MN I own, and it was dinging the heck out of 2 inch plates at around 125...going right through some of them (much to the chagrin of my father...who gets on to me for swiss cheesing his plates...lol..)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Not super rare but not seen too often either. I got one like that several years ago and have never run across another one myself. Have seen a few posted here from time to time.
Gosh, I thought that the B barrel M91s [and I don't think there were too many... 8.5k total barrels?] were marked 1942 and had the pressure proof 36<vkt>00. I've got a '42 B barrel M39 that has a 36.00 pressure proof. Is it not also the case that every now and then a '42 marked M91 turns up with both <VKT> and B marks on the barrel shank and Belgian/ Liege proofs?

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,912 Posts
Dave,
Yes, you're right. I have one of those (one of my last M91s) and they are indeed rare. Check the M91 article on www.mosin-nagant.net, which explains the markings. In short, they are rare both because many M91 B barrels were rebuilt into M39 B barrel rifles post-war and because there were very few which were Liege proofed, and also had the VKT marking. The combo of all of those makes for a rare rifle.

You guys have just inspired me to finally take mine out of the safe and go shoot it. A safe queen no longer...;)
Pat

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave,
Yes, you're right. I have one of those (one of my last M91s) and they are indeed rare. Check the M91 article on www.mosin-nagant.net, which explains the markings. In short, they are rare both because many M91 B barrels were rebuilt into M39 B barrel rifles post-war and because there were very few which were Liege proofed, and also had the VKT marking. The combo of all of those makes for a rare rifle.

You guys have just inspired me to finally take mine out of the safe and go shoot it. A safe quenn no longer...;)
Pat
Don't be surprised at the AWESOME groupings!!

·
8,912 Posts
Good! Sounds like a good candidate for handloads.
Pat

·
Diamond Member
7,319 Posts
I just got one with both marks on the barrel shank along with the Liege proof. It was sold as a common VKT 91. For 275 dollars, I think I got a good deal.
I think tou did too :). I wonder if there are SN ranges for the 36<VKT>00 proofed barrels like there are for the Liege proffed ones. My 36<VKT>00 is SN 47182. Denny

·
8,912 Posts
I've got a B barrel M91 with the 36<vkt>00 mark on the left side of the barrel. It's a 1942 and one of my favorite rifles.

BTW, Poot has seen this one in person ;)
Yeah, buddy!
That spot in the safe that it once occupied got filled up quicker than I thought, too. The addiction doesn't end, you just refocus on different rifles!
Pat

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,436 Posts
I have two B barrel M39's, both have vkt press. proof. The m39 with plumb M91 barrel B & vkt (shown) does have the vkt press. proof (cant see it on this photo). The M91 B VKT w, liege proof's, I don't see the press. proof

Attachments

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have two B barrel M39's, both have vkt press. proof. The m39 with plumb M91 barrel B & vkt (shown) does have the vkt press. proof (cant see it on this photo). The M91 B VKT w, liege proof's, I don't see the press. proof
Wow! Judging from the serial number and so on, that M39 was made from a <VKT>+B barrel M91, yes? Have you confirmed it by checking the barrel diameter vs. a more conventional M39? Very neat! I don't think I've ever seen an M39 like that. Are there more pics hereabouts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts