Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall I bought a VZ24 and it's in the process of getting to my FFL.

I want to kit it out with authentic, original milsurp accessories like a sling, bayonet w/ scabbard, milsurp stripper clips, cleaning rod, and either a bandolier or ammo/clip pouch - whatever the Czechs would've used.

I see stuff on ebay, gb, etc., but I also notice a lot of repros too. Aside from "looking old" what can I look for to identify the real deal? What suggestions yall got?

Thanks!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,479 Posts
The first thing would be to identify what country used your VZ24.

Original VZ24 slings are made of unobtanium but reproduction slings are readily available. Liberty Tree Collectors has original VZ24 cleaning rods for $35; you can probably find a cheaper reproduction rod. Original bayonets and scabbards are readily available. Original frogs are hard to find but similar Romanian frogs are readily available. Or, you could get a reproduction Czech frog.

Original Czech ammo pouches are impossible to find but Yugo double pouches are available and similar. 8mm Mauser stripper clips are available but will not be original Czech. Watch on Ebay and Gunbroker for all of these items.

Czech ammo pouches

Original sling

Reproduction slings

Romanian frog (would be correct if your VZ24 is Romanian)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing would be to identify what country used your VZ24.
So I did some digging and comparing to mine, appears to be a Brazilian 1930s revolutionary 7x57, so I presume Brazil.

I got some more digging to do, and if I'm wrong about a detail, please source the correct info.

- the video I found on it, part of what I found

Manufacturer crest on receiver

According to what I found, PM stands for Polícia Militar and that number is Brazilian government inventory number when they captured it from the rebels. I don't know what the number above it is, though.

Bolt doesn't match the rest on the manufacturer number, pure conjecture but maybe they had to put another one in it at some point. The Brazilian ones had turned bolts

I believe it is the manufacturer number (4,396/15,000 made)

Importer goofed on marking the chamber and didn't make the correction obvious.

Matching stock

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,479 Posts
In answer to your original question, a reproduction VZ24 sling would be fine. An original VZ24 export bayonet and scabbard without Czech or Romanian Army markings would be correct. The bayonet frog could be reproduction Czech or original Romanian (not quite right, but available). 7mm stripper clips are available. An original or reproduction cleaning rod can be found. I doubt that anyone now knows what Brazilian ammo pouches might have been used.

You have a nice Brazilian VZ24JC rifle. JC is Czech for South China, the cover story as ZB did not want it known that they were selling rifles to rebels. I have no clue as to what the long number on the right side of the receiver ring is for.

4396 is the s/n. It's good that your stock matches. Your bolt is correct but mismatched.

As for sourcing the info I give, the source is geladen. I have three bookcases (2 shelf) full of reference books and 58 years of collecting experience, specializing in Mausers (but collecting all types of rifles and pistols).

The video was very well done but still had some errors. He said that the VZ24JC was the same as the standard export VZ24 except for the bent bolt and that it weighed 8 lb. 5 oz. The VZ24JC was in fact a lightweight version of the standard VZ24 with a slimmer barrel and stock. Only 15,000 were made and all were sold to Brazilian rebels. The book MMROTW 5th says the weight of the standard VZ24 is 9.2 lbs.

The video said that the VZ24JC was the inspiration for the later "M08/34" rifle (actually M08/34 .30). That was a Brazilian rebuilt and recalibered M1908 German made long rifle or M1908/34 Czech made short rifle. All the rebuilt M08/34 .30 rifles were short rifle length. Since the rebuilt rifle was designated M08/34 .30 and they were made from M1908/34 and M1908 rifles, that tells you where the inspiration for the design came from. The VZ24JC rifles were assigned to the Military Police, not the regular Army which had the rebuild program. The video also makes the error of referring to the Kar 98a as the Kar 98AZ. "Kar 98AZ" is a label the original design had while there was still a very short barrelled Kar 98 around, but the correct designation is Kar 98 (as marked on siderail) before WWI and Kar 98a after (to avoid confusion with the post WWI Kar 98b).

Brazilian M1908/34

Brazilian VZ24JC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.