Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Austro-Hungarian Model 1888 Mannlicher NCO bayonet at a Militaria show in Chantilly, Virginia on Friday afternoon. Marked F.G.GY. as is the M1890 Mannlicher rifle it is fitted on. The scabbard is marked OEWG with the Austrian eagle and the frog I assume is a M1895.

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts
Cool! They are hard to find. Here are two of mine - M88 NCO and a M88/90. Note the solid muzzle ring of the latter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice, Nick. What's the story with the bayonet knots for these? That's the first time I've seen a leather knot. I've seen the yellow knot that JPS has on his. I'd like to set-up my M1890 rifle with all the correct goodies. What are the chances of finding an original sling and ammo pouch? Is that the correct pattern frog for the bayo on the right? Thanks for posting the photo. Even photos of these on the web seem to be scarce.

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts
Bulgarian NCO bayonets have leather troddels/knots. I have seen three different types, but so far have been able to obtain only two of them:

The frog shown in the previous picture is correct for the M.88 models.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another type of Mannlicher leather bayonet frog. Supposedly belonged to the Bulgarian general in the photo. Bulgarian seller is asking $1,100. Can anyone translate the Bulgarian text?

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts
...Can anyone translate the Bulgarian text?
"Major-General Petrov, Chief of Division"

That's the literal translation. Puzzling is the use of the word "chief" instead of the correct "commander".

$1,100 for the set? Hm... The seller better comes with a really good proof, as neither the story nor the picture are very convincing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts