Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce that a memorial to the Austro-Hungarian troops who served on the Western Front will be dedicated on June 14 in Samogneux, France (near Verdun). The memorial will have inscriptions in German and French, remembering the troops of the k.u.k. Armee and k.k. and k.u. Landwehr that served and died on the Western Front. The rear of the memorial will list the Austro-Hungarian units that served on the Western Front, including the 1st Infantry Division, to which IR 61 belonged. The monument is made possible through the cooperation of the Conseil Général de la Meuse, the Österreichische Schwarze Kreuz, the Austrian Consul General (Strasbourg) and the tireless effort of noted historian and retired French general Jean-Claude Laparra.

Additionally, plaques will be placed at the Consenvoye German cemetery near Samogneux and the Cronenbourg German cemetery near Strasbourg to recognize the Austro-Hungarian soldiers who are buried there.

Here is a drawing showing the design

-Devo

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hello,

Grandfather's bother served there. I do not know much about his service on the Western front, but recently I found a document stating that he was receiving some extra money on each of his children. Document also stated the he was wounded in 1915 on the Western front. Hopefully, I will find "soldier" book.

Rusnak

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts
Question...did the A-H units serving on the Western Front, use their own M95 Mannlichers, or were they issued with the M13 (M88 by Steyr)??? ( ammo commonality with the Germans?) or were they completely equipped with Gew98s???

JPS, maybe you can chime in? Have any "digs" around Verdun come up with any M95 rifles or ammo?

Doc AV

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AH Troops on the Western Front kept their M95 Mannlichers and M07/12 Schwarzloses. Some field artillery units were re-equipped with German 7.7s, but mostly used their own Skoda guns. Interestingly, the 1st ID and 35th ID were each issued 200 (400 total) Lewis guns in 7.92x57.

M13s wouldn't have been much help, as they weren't modified for "S" ammunition or Mauser-style clips.

-Devo

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,742 Posts
Hello Devo, Hi Doc, Rusnak & Car99,

Thank you for posting this Devo! There are indeed a lot of little known facts regarding the Great War floating around out there, this being one of them. Per Devo's comments, they were indeed using M95 Mannlichers. They were indeed issued German field artillery for the sake of supply and an unknown number of captured Lewis Guns. By 1918 there were four K.u.K. Divisions serving on the Western Front. The Austro-Hungarian Korp was broken up by the German Command into individual Division, i.e. 1st, 35th, 37th Honved, 106th Landsturm. Morale was extremely low at the time among most of the K.u.K. troops.

The 26th U.S. Infantry Division engaged and overran the 35th during the St. Mihiel Offensive in September of 1918. This is where and how the variety of Berndorfer helmets and Austro-Hungarian M16s that were camo painted, made their way back to the States.

An interesting sidelight to this little slice of history is the fact that at the same time, there were two Italian divisions serving on the Western Front as well.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
IIRC John Wall has an M95 with AEF 'capture' plaque.
If it isn't John, it's that other John. If it's not him, it's that other John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.