Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
these two rifles have different size rounds.
The Extra-Korps Gewehr is a stutzen, i.e. a carbine with a different location of the sling swivels. Hence the different size cartridges. Here are mine:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,474 Posts
Hello Gents,

Very nice collection of these most interesting firearms. There are a tremendous number of variations, particularly among the carbines. I don't have my library at hand at the moment or I could list all of the various versions.

The hardest of the Werndl rifles to find, based on my own experience, is the M1873. I have only come across one example for sale that was the M1873/77. I have one original M1867 that was never chamber reamed for the M77 cartridge and eight different upgraded M1867/77s. Of the M1867s four are Jaeger models with the finger spur while the others four are regular infantry rifles without the finger spur.

I have seven carbines, the rarest of which is the M1873/77 Finanze-Gewehr which is one of 1184 produced for the Treasury Guards.

The next rarest of the carbines is this M1867 Cavalry Carbine that is still in it's original configuration.

The remainder of the carbines I currently have photos of are this example of the M1873/77 Extra Corp Gewehr.....

...along with these two examples of the M1867/77 Extra Corp Gewehr.

While I have the appropriate mixture of bayonets for each of the rifles and carbines, the only current photos I have of the Werndl bayonet collection are below.

I have one M1867/77 that I shoot regularly and used to take a Whitetail deer with several years ago while hunting on a lease in Texas. At 90 yards it dropped the buck in his tracks.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I am from Slovakia.
One of the words somebody said sounded Russian... How are the gun laws in Slovakia by the way?

Thanks JPS and Nick for the breakdown. I have a few questions: 1. Who are the Jaegers, and why does their rifle have the rear sight closer to the shooter and have the finger spur? 2. And why do some Werndls have a totally exposed hammer and some have the hammer behind the sideplate? Are these exposed hammers all converted muzzle loaders? 3. Are Werndls regularly unit marked on the buttplate?

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,474 Posts
One of the words somebody said sounded Russian... How are the gun laws in Slovakia by the way?

Thanks JPS and Nick for the breakdown. I have a few questions: 1. Who are the Jaegers, and why does their rifle have the rear sight closer to the shooter and have the finger spur? 2. And why do some Werndls have a totally exposed hammer and some have the hammer behind the sideplate? Are these exposed hammers all converted muzzle loaders? 3. Are Werndls regularly unit marked on the buttplate?

Hello HG,

I'll respond below following each of your questions.

1. Who are the Jaegers, and why does their rifle have the rear sight closer to the shooter and have the finger spur?

Jaeger translates as "Hunter" in English and in both the Austro-Hungarian and German Armies, regiments of riflemen who lived in the mountainous regions of both countries were enlisted as Jaegers. In most cases, the recruits were game wardens, professional hunting guides, market hunters, etc. in civilian life and were already accustomed to firearms and accomplished marksmen.

Jaeger regiments frequently functioned as skirmishers prior to the advent of trench warfare. The different sights were theoretically intended to allow for more accurate rifle fire and the finger spur rest tends to provide a more comfortable grip for shooting, as is the case with modern stocks with pistol grips.

Another reason for the differences was to set the Jaegers apart from regular line units based on their elite status. They were issued different uniforms, often in shades of green that were beneficial in their role as skirmishers when the rest of the army was still dressed pre-WWI blue uniforms.

2. And why do some Werndls have a totally exposed hammer and some have the hammer behind the sideplate? Are these exposed hammers all converted muzzle loaders?

The exposed lock-plates are found on the M1867 patterns weapons. The "internal hammer" is found on the M1873 patterns weapons. I've never researched their early history in enough detail to recall exactly why they abandoned the M67 lock-plate in favor of the M73 design. Perhaps someone else can answer that question?

3. Are Werndls regularly unit marked on the buttplate?

While I'm sure I have seen a lot more Werndl's than most, I certainly can't speak for 100% of the rifles and carbines that are out there. With that said, I personally have never seen a Werndl rifle or carbine that wasn't unit marked. Most of the surviving unit marks on the buttplate tang are Landwehr or Landsturm since the Werndl was relegated to the reserves long before 1914.

Hope this info helps.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
John made a pretty good summary. For more information on this very interesting system I highly recommend this book:

·
Super Moderator
11,474 Posts
Hi Nick,

Yes, a great book! I picked up a copy when Karl-Heinz and Ivisited Joschi and Heino in Austria. Joschi was kind enough to autograph it forme. It's an excellent work and even though I don't speak or read German beyond"vo es der toiletten?" or "Svei bieren danka" or"Schnitzel bitte", with current translation sites online I have beenable to pluck out specific information when required.

Joschi was also kind enough to give me a replacement tangscrew for one of my Werndls. I had purchased it at the old Great Western GunShow and stayed the night at my Mother's house. I took the rifle apart to cleanit and the original screw entered a black hole somehow!?!?!? We searched highand low and over the years since, the carpeting has been replaced, the couch reupholstered,etc. and it NEVER has reappeared? Damndest thing I've ever seen? Even more amazing was actually finding a replacement screw!

A truly great book by THEE authority on the Werndl and justabout everything else Austro-Hungarian.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Russian and Slovak language belong to the Slavic languages​​.

Historic weapons made ​​by the end of 1890 are are free to sell a person over 18 years old.
If the gun made ​​after 1890, one needs weapons license.

be interested in the Czech language:
http://www.primaplana.net/txt/varia/Werndl-zbytek.htm
http://www.primaplana.net/txt/varia/Werndl-zbrane.htm

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
Yes, there was a trainer that only fires caps; very rare. I can show pictures of it later. Then there were the sub-caliber devices that were used in the standard Werndl rifles to shoot Flobert type cartridges.

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
... bannerman trainers...
Why do you keep calling them "Bannerman trainers"? This is an Austrian issue training rifle, Exerziergewehr M.1867. Bannerman guns are something he fudged with and this is not one of them:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Nick, I agree.. "Bannerman" is another way of saying mass "bubba".

Love mine. The biggest challenge was working up the right loads.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
up until this point i had been led to believe that bannerman had converted them!
and all the specimens ive examined that were offered through bannerman had the mid section of the barrel made of wood.
thats why im asking if the original Exerziergewehr M.1867 had the wooden midsection as well or if that was indeed a bannerman modification

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.