Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of an Austrian with a Mannlicher M1888-90 or M1890 canvas hand guard? I have seen pictures of them in the past but cannot locate them now. They were simply a canvas patch held together with ??? Small twine or leather I assume?

Darrell Goss

·
Registered
950 Posts
There is a fairly decent picture of two wrapped 88's on Page 39 of Coil's "Uniforms and Equipment of the A-H Army in World War One." If you don't have the book I'll try to scan the pic tomorrow at work. The caption notes that they are from LIR2 in 1916.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Bannerman's

The original line drawing of this laced-up canvas sleeve accessory can be found in 1920's era Bannerman catalogs. The rifle itself is (or was) in the Museum of the Springfield Armory National Historic Site in Springfield Massachusetts. It was acquired by US Army in 1918-1919 and was among the Central Powers small arms gathered by Captian John L. Aney at the direction of the Army's Ordnance Department to be studed after the war at Springfield Armory. The rifle is number 36 in Captain Aney's inventory of Central Powers weapons. It was found at the end of the war at Coblenz Lutzel Arsenal. Many, many long rifles from this group of 275 weapons were rendered as line drawings and included for years in Bannerman catalogs.
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for reminding me John. You sent me the inventory long ago and I forgot to even look there. I'll look in Bannerman's.
dg13

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
There is such picture in Scarlata's book on Mannlichers.

·
3,472 Posts
Thank you for reminding me John. You sent me the inventory long ago and I forgot to even look there. I'll look in Bannerman's.
dg13
Hi Darrell,
I just found the Bannerman's drawing on page 9 of Don Webster's "Military Bolt Action Rifles, 1841-1918".
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone!
Darrell

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,487 Posts
I have a photo at home

Hi Darrell,

I have several photos of the lace on canvas hand guards that I will try and remember to scan and post when I get home. I also have in my notes (also at home!) a comment from either Heino, Yoschi or the curator of the Italian Infantry Museum in Rome (I can't remember which?) stating that these were only issued with rifles that were carried by the K.u.K. Marines. One of the photos was definitely taken in Rome and was strapped on a captured M88 Mannlicher. I believe that they had more than one example? This would explain, in addition to wear, why there are so damn few surviving examples.

More when I get home sometime in November and can pull out my notes and photos. I'll check tonight and see if by chance I have a copy in one of my old files that I have with me on the road.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
John:

Check out the photos of page 62 of my Mannlicher book for historical photos of A-H troops with canvas handguards on their M.88-90 rifles. These guys look to be footsloggers, not Marines.

·
3,472 Posts
John:

Check out the photos of page 62 of my Mannlicher book for historical photos of A-H troops with canvas handguards on their M.88-90 rifles. These guys look to be footsloggers, not Marines.
Footslogger = Marine without Boat :) (aka Mud Marine)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
John - did you find that Mauser-Verguiero yet???

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,487 Posts
John:

Hi Krag,

Per my previous post, I can't comment on whether not not the canvas handguards were ever issued to troops other than the Marines, it is simply that I know that that information that was provided to me either by Heino Hintermeyer or Joschi Schuey, both published authors in Europe who are well known to this crowd, or by the Curator of Small Arms at the Italian Infantry Museum in Rome attributed them to the K.u.K. Marines. I know if have the info in my notes at home along with several photos I took of original examples from more than one collection in Europe.

I've got another month overseas after which I will dig up the info and revive this thread with whatever I find and who it was that provided me with this material and attribution. I also have a book about the K.u.K. Marines with photos of them serving both on Torpedo boats in the Adriatic as well as in the Trenches along the Isonzo. Interestingly enough, many of the Marines in the photos in that book were issued M1912 Steyrs (M14s in A-H service).

I checked late last night and I do not have the photos on any of my back up hard drives. More when I have access to my notes and photos.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
3,472 Posts
John - did you find that Mauser-Verguiero yet???
Hi Pail,
No, but it's there I'm sure. I have undoubtedly put it in a rifle sleeve which is mistagged or not tagged at all. I'm looking through them all. Soon, I promise!
Regards,
John

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Thank you, Herr Peter! Do you know what year was the picture taken?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW!

Thank you very much for the very CLEAR pics. These pisc are rare!!!
dg13

1 - 17 of 17 Posts