Gunboards Forums banner

Austrian Gew.88 Ersatz Bayonet and Photo to Document

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings Gents -

Been a while, but here is a photo I picked up, and it was pricey but figured with the bayonet it made a nice set. It is a period photo of the German Made, Austrian M1917 Ersatz Bayonet (w/o NCO accoutrements) for the Gew. 88 (Austrian M13). Only period photo of one I have seen, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't more out there. Would be nice to find a photo where the bayonet is mounted.

Any thoughts on the collar design/insignia? The bayonet is marked to the 97.R. Unit.

Best regards!
- Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mike,

Great photo and great bayonet (are you feeling the hate?)! The soldier in the photo is wearing a greatcoat with the standard paroli in the regimental facing color on the collar, so no special significance. Paroli got smaller and were eventually deleted as the war went on. Looks like he's got an ersatz bayonet frog as well.

-Devo

#4 ·
Congratulations, very nice! I have been looking for this model for the longest time, but they are not an easy find even in Europe. The last one I missed sold for 200 euro (with scabbard & frog, all in very nice condition).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.