Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to receive these two rifles from members here in the past couple of days. My question is: Were both likely sold to Finland in the 1920s, or did they go there later?

Here is the Austrian:

And the German:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And just for fun, a photo that Bayonet Collector from Norway posted a couple of years ago. He staid in his OP that it is from 1916, and he found it in Munich (Munchen). I had missed this one. So thanks to him for finding it!

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Well its hard to tell if the receiver matches the serial then its possible. Or it was bought and used as parts. Most likely the gun arrived in Finland between 1920 and 1935

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Vic. The patinas and dates match on both rifles. Looks like both probably arrived as complete rifles and stayed that way. So purchases od WWI Mosins were overlapping from both countries?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Bugelson. I hadn't considered that possibility. I guess we'll never know, but it is fun to speculate on their history. The Austrian has been through a Finnish arsenal to modify the sight and has Finn-type stock repairs. The German looks like it was just stamped SA but otherwise left alone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Transbaltic Og was very busy during the 20's and 30's wheeling and dealing all over europe to get the most mosins in hand, with as little outlay of hard cash possable Himmmmm.............................. sounds like Mosin collectors

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what's weird, Sgt Lamb? They are still in business in Helsinki. A small company, still operated as Oy Transbaltic Ab. Now exporting equipment, probably in the energy sector. I found it interesting that they are still around.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
Hey that rifle looks familiar!

Glad it went to a good home. That rifle has been passed around between 4 members in the past few months. Thats what its all about - sharing the love!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And as we know, I am just caring for it for the next owner. Whether that is after I am gone or before. I'm just a caretaker, not an owner. It's a great rifle, Spax. You and Matt did a good job of minding it for me. I think I have decided against an Archangel stock for it.
;)

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh we have them here. A guy I vaguely know has one of the cheap plastic stock on an M91. I saw him at our shooting spot, trying to hit a six foot humanoid silhouette at 100 yards with it. He has a bipod stuck on it right behind the muzzle too. I saw him waste 100 rounds of ammo one day. he hit it about one out of five times. Every time he got a hit, he and his AK-shooting buddies would let out a yell. Very annoying. He explained that his "scout scope" was loose in the rings, and he had to keep rotating it by hand to level the crosshairs between shots. I kid you not.

His Mosin looked embarrassed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.