Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
WAAAAAY TOO COOL!

Thank you for posting this jepari. I'd never heard this story before and have studied and read quite a bit about the Gallipoli Campaign over the years.

Let's hope that Lieutenant Stoker and his crew receive the long overdo credit that they deserve. He must have had a rather large pair of brass balls to engage the Ottoman Navy in the Sea of Marmara after successfully navigating the heavily mined Dardanelles. They had to know that they would never return safely through the straits!

Map Ecoregion Line Atlas Estuary

Very interesting indeed! Thanks again.

JPS

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hadn't known until recently that the father Von Trapp of 'Sound of Music' fame was the top submarine commander of Austria-Hungary in WWI.

If I am remembering correctly he and his crew were able to essentially ambush and sink three French cruisers that were patrolling the blockade

barrage in the Adriatic. They killed something on the order of 1100 French sailors. I'll have to reread this again some time. It was quite a story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.