Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We touched on this subject in the previous gunboards. Here is a 1945 Maltby No4Mk1 converted post-war for range work. 7.62 Sportco heavy barrel, PH5C sight. I've shown it here with a No5 for comparison. It's obviously a conversion and won't please the diehard Enfield fans but it's a useful rifle nonetheless.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,554 Posts
Conversion

Who did the conversion, and how many of this type did they produce, if you know. Great looking piece!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've come across quite a few, but I'll have to leave it to people with more knowledge to say how many. I think they were gunsmith- rather than factory-converted.

·
Banned
904 Posts
No.4 conversions

Yes, the woodwork on yours in interesting...I guess its the 'issue' butt and the forend cut down. but the top handguard was a specially made piece...dont know by who...maybe they were put together by Sportco in that configuration...(the sloping cut off on the forend and handguard) no doubt to imitate the Sportco Omark of the time.

Anyway at one of our club 'swap' meets I bought a complete of woodwork identical to yours except for the colour...mine is in blonde. Interesting set up inside the fore end too...it was done as a complete 'floater'...bedded in the action but the barrel completely free and the forend well scraped out.

In the rifle clubs they were only a stop gap measure until everyone was able to get their hands on an Omark...crude as the early ones (Omarks) were they completely outclassed any No.4 conversion.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have no idea how many were converted but I've got 2 of these and 1 is still in range trim with the target sights but the other looks like it has been turned into a hunting rig.

BTW. Ishy 2A1 mags fit and feed very well in them and did so until I got the genuine item or 2.

pugs...

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
A Lee enfield in .308 actually has a lot going for it in this age,there is not a lot of cheap .303 ball around now but plenty of surplus .308 to keep it fed.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Ishy 308 Mags

Absolutely right. I've found that the Ishy mags feed and work much better than the 'original' Enfield or Sterling mags.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Where the hell do you blokes find these 7.62mm conversions?? I haven't found even one yet! Reckon one of those would look real good in my safe.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My secret

I'm sharing because I think they're magnificent. There must be hundreds out there. I reckon I'm silly for mentioning them. Me and Pugs1970 know how good they are. One day everyone will want one... I'm gonna buy them as I find them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts