Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just returned tonite from an auction with i dont know what. It looks like a rocket or missle but is maybe a booster of sorts. Has a mount in the middle with a wire on the nosecone. Has markings " DR-38911-5A" on the body and on the end "FR 38693 SN4". Measures 43 inches long by 3 inches wide and VERY VERY HEAVY. Any help ideas or identification is appreciated, thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,027 Posts
Wonder if it's a sounding rocket?
Doesn't look like anything to hang from an AC wing.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Being that it is very heavy, it still could be live and filled with a solid rocket propellant. Not something you would like to have ignite in your basement!

Find some millitary EOD unit and talk with them. The police will just confiscate it if it is live. I would put it in a VERY safe place till it is determined if it is live or empty.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
I don't know that this is one, but what does the nozzle/device that is used by flight crews, like the Blue Angles, to leave a trail of smoke behind when they fly look like?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does that white part at the end swivel around? Aka gimbal stabilization? If so this is probably something more than a fancy model...
Yes the white cone thing does adjust/swivel. I dont see how the nose cone comes off. One the bottom there is a round brass ring around the cone with 2 grooves i guess for removal but i dont have any tools that fit it.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
it doesn't look military or at least recent military
there is a EOD unit for everywhere in the US, I would find out who yours is (very possibly a NG or reserve unit) and ask them
and yes it does happen, I was talking to a WWII vet when I was on museum detail at the 82nd ABN Museum, Ft. Bragg, and he was telling me about the Panzerfaust in Ft. Campbells museum, seems he and a buddy were visiting, and his buddy was an engineer in WWII who demil more than a few of them, and noted that the display unit was LIVE.... yeah oops, it's had been hanging on the wall for the last 50+ years getting dusted weekly.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Looks like a Rocket Assisted TakeOff pod. One was mounted under each engine of a QueenAir I once flew. Between and overhead the pilots was a large RED button. If you suffered an engine at an in-opportune time , simply push the button (actually in the heat of panic, u punched it with your fist) you would receive (if memory is still functioning) about 900 lbs of thrust for about 30-45 seconds. Hopefully to get u about a thousand feet or so.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looking at it again, I think it may be a speed-o-meter for a large boat attached under the hull. The little line with the fitting would be like a pito tube. Be interesting to see inside the thing... Again just a wild ass guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.