Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Normaly I am not a Mauser collector, but since german Gew98 were also used in Finland, I could not resist to rescue this old warhorse:

Hidden since end of WW1 it survied in real good condition until today. Barrel is good, as it was hidden with muzzlecover on. No rust under the woodline.
Not all numbers match, seems like it was rebuilt at depot level during the war, two patched spots on the stock, magazine assembly does not match but all parts have same last 2 digits. Stock has matching number stamped twice, why ever.

Chris

·
Silver Bullet member
1,442 Posts
Excellent find. Without going into too many details if they are a problem, could you tell us how you know it was hidden since World War One? That must be a fascinating story, especially if it was hidden in Germany!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellows!

The rifle was handed over to my local gun dealer it was not registered until now.
Maybe he can tell me more about it, when the person, who gave it to him comes to the shop again.
From the stamps on teh rifle it was collected on a battlefield on teh western front and transfered to weapon repair depot at Koblenz( number 5 on butt plate) and reworked there to working condition, inspected(S stamp) and reissued. How it came to this part of the country is not clear, maybe the dealer can get more information for me.
No other stampds than the ones from WW1 time are present, so it was not acccepted into later Reichswehr.
And I doubt, it was used in WW2.

Chris

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
That's pretty amazing, rifle & pictures. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have a Gewehr 98 in virtually similar condition. When found, the dust and residue in the crooks and nannies showed that it had staid about 80 years in an attic or so. The gun shoots quite well, and I just fed the old lady with four round of 1918-made German ammo, right from the Great War (copper-washed steel cases). Every single round ignited perfectly, every case stayed intact, and the accuracy was ... surprisingly good. For 94-years-old ammo !

Carcano

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
excellent find. i cant imagine too many of these come out of the woodwork in Germany in this condition. i remember i was once shown pictures of a gew 98 being taken out of a fake wall where it had been since the teens or twenties, those photos always stuck with me. Even if not totally matching, still a great find!

AWO- you say the 5 on the buttplate signifies reworking by koblenz. im looking at a gew98 with a large 4 on the buttplate...can you tell me what that would signify?

p.s. i love your signature line

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
For historical perspective, my uncle was with the 3rd Army, US, in Europe until after the end of the War. He told me that the Germans were ordered to turn in all weapons. He said that the alleged weapons turned in were the sorriest collection of busted up guns he had ever seen in his life. He knew that the good stuff was mostly hidden away, and he did not blame them a bit.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
4 is Cologne

Here is an rifle found in a wall, in Saxony, September 4, 2001. The website no longer has the story but they took it to the Police and they deactivated it. It was a 1917 Danzig.

excellent find. i cant imagine too many of these come out of the woodwork in Germany in this condition. i remember i was once shown pictures of a gew 98 being taken out of a fake wall where it had been since the teens or twenties, those photos always stuck with me. Even if not totally matching, still a great find!

AWO- you say the 5 on the buttplate signifies reworking by koblenz. im looking at a gew98 with a large 4 on the buttplate...can you tell me what that would signify?

p.s. i love your signature line

Attachments

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,176 Posts
Excellent rifle and story, thanks for sharing!
Pat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.