Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience securing a hand guard on a Model 1891 (rifle or carbine) with the copper wires? I've searched the interwebz and come up short. I need to install a hand guard on a Spanish M1891 carbine and don't want to mess it up. I need advice as to what you do with those two loose ends, where to position the eventual junction, etc. Thanks!

Pics for attention.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It is easy. Use some 18 gauge or so wire.
Twist the wire together so it is in the underside of the barrel.
You may or may not want to snip a little of the twisted part off.
Bend the twisted part so it is lying lengthwise along the bottom of the barrel, ie muzzle to breech.
Put a light coat of grease on your barrel, probably before positioning the handguard.
Line up the wire with the slots in the stock, assuming the slots in your handguard match, and you are all set.

I found the wire to be much more tolerant than I was expecting. Even with older wire i was able to slide the handguard up and down the barrel or rotate it upside down to rub a little grease.

If the wire is not tight enough and the handguard wobbles, I found using pliers to twist and untwist to help a lot. Tight twist seems to be the main factor holding the handguard on well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
18 gauge wire seems a bit thin. In the past I have used 10 gauge and 12 gauge wire stripped from some electrical wire. the twist at the bottom does not need to be very long, only about 1/4". There should be room in the stock for the twisted ends.

Vlad

·
Registered
481 Posts
I found that 20 gauge telephone wire works the best for me. You can get it in most hardware stores or Lowes. Just strip off the insulation. You will have enough wire to wrap hundred of rifles :) Usually, the stock has a little hole where the excess twist can be inserted. You may have to trim the twist to make it fit. 18 gauge would be preferable since it will fit nicely into the groove in the hand guard and be hidden. But, 20 gauge works fine.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Just a note: The original wiring can lose its malleable properties, and become very brittle. It sometimes doesn't take much of a tweak to break. So, if it is intact, it is wise to leave it alone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Use thin solid, bare copper wire to match original. Snug it, don't tighten any more than necessary unless you plan on taking it into combat!! A layer of grease where the copper touches steel will prevent the corrosion associated from different metals touching.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Here's what worked for me. As it happens, 14ga wire was still a little to big for my slots I got this stuff from a craft store, Michael's or Hobby Lobby most likely.
I just cut off enough to give me a few inches of slack to work with. Then got my trusty old Kleins wireman's pliers and twisted the ends round and round nice and firm. Cut them off to match the grooves in the stock, about 3/4" I think it was but, don't hold me to that. I had to move the handguard around a bit to get everything lined up but, could feel when it did.

Stuck a few more pics of the old Argy in just to show it. I think it's a purty one but then, I'm biased. It was a heck of a note. I had no idea how the handguard was supposed to go on and apparently neither had the prior owner, he'd secured it with some brad nails.:cry:
Happily the hand guard pulled up easily sliding right up off the brads. Some careful work got the brads out of the stock w/out doing further damage. The visible damage to the handguard is fortunately minimal and that to the stock is covered by the handguard.

There you have it. Doesn't add so much as confirming what some others have said but I hope it helps some.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.