Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I was wandering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons of the advanced tech's drill tap mount for a mosin 91/30. Also, where could a guy get just the mount. I already have the sniper bolt so i just need the mount. Any help is always appreciated.
THANKS

·
Registered
254 Posts
The ATI scope mount is really mounted on the action!, two "really large" #10x32 holes tapped into the top of your action, the alum rail is pretty robust, mine is on a hex action and seems to sit a little lower and a portion of the bolt would rub on the bottom of the mount when the bolt was cycled as it sits that far down above the bolt
the portion I had that was rubbing was easily fixed by slightly removing some metal from the bottom of the mount with a roto file.
so far I havent had any problem's with it.
Ask ATI for just the rail, J&G sales may have just the mount, Ive seen the add in Shot Gun News for just the mount, comes with a drill bit and tap.
i took mine to a gunsmith who had a jig for locating and drilling mount's.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
+1 for what Rex said.

In addition. The ATI mount comes with a bolt handle. Do not use this bolt handle.

The mounts are only $40 with the cheezy bolt handle, its the only way you can get the ATI mount.

Your sniper bolt will not work with an ATI mount. ATI mounts require a special low handled bolt. The mount comes with a replacement bolt handle. They do not work and look very bad.

You will have to have specially modified bolt. You can get one from the Boltman one of our sponsors, or the ones we prefer at the link below. They are VERY well done specially for ATI mounts and look exc.

If your bolt handle rubs the rear ring mount you might try different rings, or just file the rear mount down a bit were it rubs.

You will like the ATI mount. Our shooters have been using them for years and the scope sits low and you can use any scope for long range you choose.

I don't recomend D&T for a collectable M/N. All of the repro. sniper M/N are just regular infantry rifles with a PU scope slapped on them.

Find an exc. shooter with a new or like new barrel that will warrant a scope to get the optimum out of accuracy.

Contrary to what some will tell you on these forums. M/Ns with new barrels or like new barrels are available, if you are patient enough to find one.

Some of the scoped M/N we use are very accurate up to 1,000 yds. Not in the same class as Military sniper rifles etc. but suprisingly very accurate at long range if you mate the right ammo up to the rifle. Bedding has to be exc., a light trigger pull is a must, as well as exc. lands, throat, and crown.
The ATI mount with its versaltility of usuable scopes is and exc. platform to bring out the accuracy potential in the M/N. IMO

We have been using ATI mounts for a long time with exc. results.

A light trigger let off is also needed for long range work.

ATI mounts will fit on hex or round receivers.

Bolt Body ATI Sporter Mosin Nagant Rifles Bolt Body ATI Sporter Mosin Nagant Rifles Products Model: P-MN-6B Price: $69.00 [P-...

If you look real close the one pictured. The rear ring has been filed, where it attaches to the mount.

THis one has a Weaver K6 scope. This rilfe will shoot all touching holes at 100 yds. with Hungarian LB ST. and respectable groups at longer ranges. The rifle is capapble of it.

When testing rifles to see if they warrant the expense of scoping. We always have several different younger more talented shooters test them out.

It cost a considerable sum to scope a rifle and it is a very good idea to test them out with the ammo it likes best before messing with the rifle. IMO

Installing a scope will NOT make a rifle more accurate. Accurizing will.

On a side note.

We have had problems with gunsmiths installing these mounts. Some were off center and cantered.

Make sure your gunsmith knows what he is doing.

Even the Bass Pro gunsmith buggered up a couple of these for us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
I think I have more work ahead of me than I thought. Thanks for all the info. I probably will have to spend the extra money as this doesn't seem like a job for a novice. You guys just saved me a lot of frustration.
THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I havent had any problems with the ATI bolt handle from the kit yet.
I used JB weld when assembling the handle to the bolt assy
my contingency would be to braze or have the handle Tig welded to the bolt body if it refuses to stay put as for now I havent had any problems.
make shure the screw hole in the action is right in the spot where the bolt head rotates so make shure its de-burred and greased.
after de-burring my bolt it opened allot better I also used a NAPA auto "engine assembly" moly-base grease.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,380 Posts
+1 on welding the ATI bolt to the handle. I have two of these and have put a few thousand rounds through them over the past several years, and they work great.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
The ATI bolts furnished with the mount can be made to work. I should have said "we" do not use these bolt handles. Years ago we tried to use them and would come loose a lot and most shooters didn't like the look.

We tried the JB weld and it didn't hold. Never did try to weld one, just went with using the custom bolts instead.

The futnished bolt handles are a lot cheaper than a custom bolt.

It is the look that turns our guys off on them.

Personal preference, and for sure an option if someone doesn't want to sink a lot of money into the rifle.

Also the Boltman will has the ATI custom bolts, probably a little less than the ones on the link I posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts