Gunboards Forums banner

At the Small Arms Review show today...

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Big Brother John 
#1 ·
Got there kind of early (I was helping a buddy carry his "for sale" items to his table and was able to wander the show before opening). Lots of stuff, and not quite the madhouse I had anticipated, but I left at about 1:00.

My acquisitions: A 1933 Hex-receivered Tula M91/30 with (oddly) an almost mint bore and a very nice 1946 M44 which appears to be one of the non-refurbed ones (Bullseye, was that you I bought it from? Rocker must have been away from the table when I came by). The Tula was one of J&G's $69.99 deals.

The M91/30 came with the two peculiar-looking tools shown in the picture. One has a notch and one doesn't.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I don't think you bought that from our table. We didn't uncover until about 10:45am. So if you were by our table, we weren't there. We were wandering around, just like Dennis. Except we weren't buying as much :)

Where was the table you bought the M44 at? Was there a stuffed cat next to it?

#8 · (Edited)
I was there again today with my son. We picked up a few odds and ends. Near the end of the day I made an offer on a absolutely brand new Hakim rifle I spotted on Friday. To my amazement the seller accepted my offer, so I'm the proud owner of another Hakim!

On another note yesterday (Friday) I spotted a fellow trying to steal a Bulgarian 75 round AK drum mag from a vendors table. I notified the vendor, and went with him to confront the thief. The fool made the mistake of running. All I had to do was yell "Thief" and a few large gentlemen tackled the idiot. Security showed up and took the thief away.

It turned out he had also stolen another AK drum as well as five or six mags from the same vendor, which we found in his backpack.

Needless to say the vendor was happy and even though I tried to turn him down he insisted on giving me a few mags in gratitude. The promoter of the show also gave my free passes for the next few shows.

It was also good to see some fellow board members at the show!!

#9 ·
I was there again today with my son. We picked up a few odds and ends. Near the end of the day I made an offer on a absolutely brand new Hakim rifle I spotted on Friday. To my amazement the seller accepted my offer, so I'm the proud owner of another Hakim!

On another note yesterday I spotted a fellow trying to steal a Bulgarian 75 round AK drum mag from a vendors table. I notified the vendor, and went with him to confront the thief. The fool made the mistake of running. All I had to do was yell "Thief" and a few large gentlemen tackeled the idiot. Security showed up and took the thief away.

It turned out he had also stolen another AK drum as well as five or six mags from the same vendor.

Needless to say the vendor was happy and even though I tried to turn him down insisted on giving me a few mags in gratitude. The promoter of the show also gave my free passes for the next few shows.

It was good to se some fellow board members at the show!!
Nice work, Jimmy! Sounds like a great caper!

#14 ·
All in all it was a great weekend. I was able to spend time with my folks as well as my Son, who comes down from his university for the show and take in the phoenix SAR show. I found a lot of neat accessories and ended up getting the Hakim rifle. It was nice to see Gary (rocker 98) and others there.

Helping apprehend the Magazine thief was the icing on the cake. I have been retired from Law enforcement for two years now, and it brought back many great memories of prior chases and apprehensions.

I also was able to meet another board member and arrange a shoot in the near future.

All in all a great time.

#15 ·
Thank you Sir. Nice to see you again.

The folks next to me were a victim of theft as well. Sorry to say the the "spook" was not apprehended.

However, we (Big Brother John & I) were able to give some advice to a gentleman behind us. Put those mags and bayonet for that Chinese AK in a place where you can see them at all times. Otherwise, they will get stolen.

Nice rifle! I am surprised it didn't sell. BUT, as one dealer told me. "I have good prices! I just don't think they have the money to spend."

#19 ·
I had a great time talking with Gary (Rocker98) all day. Met a lot of interesting characters. gave some viable advice, and Sold some guns. Thanks for your help Gary! John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.