Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up this little .25 auto Astra Cub labeled F.I.E. "The Best". Has anyone else come across one of these?

The story floating around the interwebs is that after the 1968 debacle, Colt contracted with FIE to assemble their Juniors from imported Astra parts. When Colt discontinued the model, FIE continued selling them under their own brand. It does sport the Colt style grips. At first glace it appears identical to my Cub. The slide and barrel interchanges just fine. The two differences I've noticed are the FIE has a magazine disconnect (it turns out the Astra does also. Thanks for the correction Bill D) and the magazine is slightly taller than the Astra and the two won't interchange. The barrel and slide in the FIE are looser than they are in my Astras and the trigger is stiffer.

This one is in great condition. If it has been shot, it hasn't been much.

It is a nice addition to my little assortment:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Phil, that's a new one on me, never heard of that variant.

As to the magazines, I have two .22 short Cubs, made several years apart. I have 5 magazines between them. But the mags are slightly different in the size and location of the mag catch hole, and the thickness. Certain ones fit one Cub or the other, and one fits neither. It seems too extreme to attribute to manufacturing tolerances - or lack thereof.

And BTW, I'd love to know where you are finding these nice Spaniards ;)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Shot a friends years back and it ran like a champ.... His was marked exactly like yours and I remember seeing one NOS in a store in the late 80's or early 90's..... FIE made some quality stuff that alot of guys look down upon.....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Neat pistol, not in my area of knowledge however. Phil did you get my comment on the Star CO?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Rex - That is interesting about progressive changes in your Cub magazines. It makes me wonder if the magazine disconnect was added while they were still building Colt Juniors. As to finding them, I just ask myself "if I was Rex, where would I look?"

Mikey - Thanks and I will shoot you a note about your CO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Learn something new every day on here... I never knew these pistols existed - they certainly have an interesting backstory and name. Great looking collection as well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts