Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without planning it, I've collected several Spanish firearms. An Astra 400, Star Super and a Destroyer carbine. Recently I came across an Astra Constable .380. It's taken me awhile but I finally proved that it's C&R eligible, made in 1970. It went back and forth with the store - it is C&R eligible, it's not, now it is... (I live in MA, the gun is out of state, so I need to use the C&R to get it).
I've checked the gun out - it looks good. I'm not looking for a carry gun, or a collectable, just an occasional shooter to add to the collection..
So...is the Constable worth the effort? Online, some say they're great guns, some say they're prone to breakage.
The price of the gun is under $300.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,014 Posts
You say, "I've checked the gun out - it looks good."

I'm not sure what that means.

The Constable is a solid performer, well-made of good materials and workmanship. But whether any handgun is worth $300 depends not only on its appearance but on its mechanical condition. Since you're buying it from out-of-state, how much do you actually know about it?

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say, "I've checked the gun out - it looks good."

I'm not sure what that means.

The Constable is a solid performer, well-made of good materials and workmanship. But whether any handgun is worth $300 depends not only on its appearance but on its mechanical condition. Since you're buying it from out-of-state, how much do you actually know about it?

M
I checked it out as best as I could in the store. Everything functions as it should. No rust, etc. It looks "good" and mechanically it functions well. I did not take it down. Without firing it, that's the best I can do (other than ask questions about the gun).
I know nothing about this gun. I've handled it, examined it, and the seller offers a 30 day warranty if it doesn't function. I've dealt with them many times in the past.
Just curious about the Astra Constable in general terms.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Less than $300 and it seems to work and look good. Original mag I guess ?
If you like it and have the $$ then why not ?
Could probably get your original " investment" out of it plus 10%.
Worst thing is ammo. 380 ACP is terribly pricey these days. Unless you reload :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one and it’s a good shooter. The only problem I have had with it is the magazine springs which are easy enough to replace.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I collect "vintage" guns, mostly from 1900 up. The Astra Constable is a relatively modern gun for me, as funny as that sounds. I like the Astra brand, but they don't come up for sale around here too often. I hadn't heard of a Constable before. I reload for the old guns, right down to .25 acp.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the Astra home. I started trying to buy this gun about one month ago. As I said, first it was C&R, then it wasn't, then it was, and yesterday, it wasn't. Last night I got a call from the store saying that it was C&R. OK. I went to the store today and tried to buy it. Sorry, we can't verify it's C&R. Why did you call me last night? Not sure why. I asked to see the manager. He came out - nice guy. He showed me why there was a question. 1970 is good, 1971 is good. 1972 is not good. This is where research paid off. I said "remove the grips and look for 01." 01 is 1970. They did. It was there. I finally bought the gun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Astra Constable (I/II) .380 is worth having just for it's appearances in "Taxi Driver" (erroneously ID'd as a Walther PPK) and "Goodfellas" (Karen Hill stuffs a nickel-plated one in her panties).

Reactions: HorizontalHunter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Spanish guns. I've had some good luck, and some OK luck buying them. I bought an Astra 400 that came with 200 or so rounds at a decent price, except every single round was a dud. They were Berdan primed, so I just pulled and used the bullets in new brass. I bought a Destroyer carbine at a good price because it was missing the rear sight. I got it home, removed the barrel and there was the rear sight under the barrel - someone had spun the sight sleeve around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its funny. I saw your pictures and thought that the grips are different from mine so I opened the safe and took a look at mine ad realized that it is an Astra Constable II. Not the earlier version you have.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The grips made it harder for the store to verify its age. The grips have the thumb rest that apparently was on the earlier models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The grips made it harder for the store to verify its age. The grips have the thumb rest that apparently was on the earlier models.
The thumb rest will probably give you a more consistent grip. I have big mitts and I haven’t shot it in far too long. I will have to bring it next time. It’s a great little gun. You will enjoy it.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw an Astra 300 last winter in a different shop. They were selling it for around $350. I thought about it for a week or so, then went back to the shop to check it out again. Well, the price had gone to over $1100 because they had found a small, very faint Nazi Waffenamt mark in the rear corner of the slide. I mean, you had to know exactly where the mark was and use a magnifier to see it. Was it authentic? I know you can buy Nazi stamps. I passed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts