Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a date range for production of these pistols?

Are the frames and slides forged or investment cast?

Is the grip area enough for large hands?

Is the quality of bluing pretty good?

Thanks
Jake

·
Silver Bullet member
261 Posts
The Constable II was produced from late 1982 until 1992. The frames were investment cast. I believe that the slides were always forged. I have fairly large hands and think that the grip area is border-line too small. It is long enough for me; longer for example than a Glock 26. But it is single stack frame and I find it a bit thin. Of course for its intended purpose it is certainly serviceable. I think that the bluing is on the thin side.

Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own one of these. IF you can shoot it'd win the ' centerfire ' match at Camp Perry. It has never EVER malfed a round, shoots dead on the sights at 25 yards, can group down close to an inch at the same distance, and is a delightful 9MM KURZ pistol. I do have to note though, that in sixty[60] years of shooting I have NEVER seen ' thick ' bluing....on anything.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And thank you Wil Terry for your advice and sharing your shooting experience. (25 yards-that's darn good)
I'm hoping others that have or had the Astra Constable II .380 will also comment on their experiences as well.
Thank you.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,151 Posts
There is nothing shabby or thin about the blue on Astra pistols when they left the factory. If blue is found "on the thin side", it's because somebody wore it off with hard usage. After all, it's just blue. Nobody ever claimed that it was nitrided.

M

·
Silver Bullet Member
589 Posts
I'd bet ibMikey has one or 5 of these. He has a huge Spanish collection and knows quite a bit about them as well. At the prices for these, I don't think you'd get hurt if you don't like it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd bet ibMikey has one or 5 of these. He has a huge Spanish collection and knows quite a bit about them as well. At the prices for these, I don't think you'd get hurt if you don't like it.
Your right Larry, the prices don't seem very outrageous for one of those fine Spanish pistols. I'm very fortunate to be a member here and learn from those that work with them.

·
Silver Bullet Member
589 Posts
The only way to know is to try. I usually shoot the flat top .380s in my Llama without issues but I've read many accounts of people not having any luck with them. I do believe it is an individual gun preference. No "one shoe fits all" applies to any ammo in any gun, IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts