Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it to the range a couple of days ago. Used Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara de Industries Militares ammo dated Nov. 1981. Accuracy was good at 30 ft., about 4 inches low. The empties were chucked 30 feet away from me. Only other time I shot it was with handloads of 6.0 Unique with 124 FMJ projectilesm and empties went half that distance or less. Just wondered if the factory ammo is a lot hotter than my handloads. EDINOH.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like the factory stuff is much hotter. You could try puttign new or heavier recoil springs in it too.

I had a 400 many many years ago- I kinda miss it- wouldn't mind replacing it with a 300 :)

-Dave

·
Gold Bullet member
476 Posts
You may try to put a NEW factory spring, but never a heavier one.

Anyway, 1981 Santa Barbara ammo (1981 was the last run of production for 9 Largo), was charged thinking more in SMG's than in 60 years old pistols.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
Forget about replacing the spring. You can't put a heavy enough spring in that gun (and still be able to cock it) that will save it from damage with that ammo. Unless you want to replace the slide in less than a thousand rounds, you'd better quit blasting that SB'81 through it and find some softer fodder that the Astra's old teeth can chew.

M

·
Gold Bullet member
476 Posts
Mike, glad to see you again on the again new forum!!!

Can you tell me how hard is to find there 1981 SB 9 Largo ammo??? What price for..... say a 2000 round box?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
Mike, glad to see you again on the again new forum!!!

Can you tell me how hard is to find there 1981 SB 9 Largo ammo??? What price for..... say a 2000 round box?
Jorge: I hope everybody else has not experienced the same problems I have had staying on this forum and getting finally and properly logged in. But as Arnold Schwartzenegger said, "I'm back..."

Re: non-corrosive late-date 9mm Largo, the only sources I know of with remaining inventory are Surplus International, http://www.sillc.com/ammunition/77_html, and SARCO. Surplus International's is not SB'81 but SB'77, and is currently shown at $320 per 2,000-rd case-- plus of course shipping.

I bought several cases of SB'77 some years ago when Interarms imported it, and that is what I shoot in my Stars. In Astra 400s I use 9mm Steyr, or .38 ACP, both of which are much milder than late Largo. Even the corrosive-primed ammo made in the 1950s is not very different from the SB'77. My chronograph has convinced me that any Largo made recently enough to still be of good quality is probably too hot for the Astras.

M

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the headsup on the Santa Barbara ammo. I bought 150 rnds at the last show for my A Super. I guess I won't be using it now. Anyone manufacturing new ammo? Old Western Scrounger?

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I only fired 20 rounds of that stuff. I got 100 rounds of it last year. Pretty sure I got it from Century. I know I didn't get it from Sarco. I will stick to my handloads from now on. EDINOH.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the headsup on the Santa Barbara ammo. I bought 150 rnds at the last show for my A Super. I guess I won't be using it now. Anyone manufacturing new ammo? Old Western Scrounger?
It's okay for the Star Model A, just not for the Astra 400. Nobody is manufacturing new Largo, but 9mm Steyr can be had. OWS is gone. M

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got brass from Graf's in Missouri. It is headstamped 9mm Largo. Can't remember if it was made by Star or Graf. EDINOH.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
Look for good 9MM Steyr ammo; it's a mild load that's perfect for Astra 400s. There is less difference in the nominal case dimensions between 9mm Steyr and 9mm Largo than the variation you'll find within any lot of Spanish-made Largo.

M

·
Gold Bullet member
476 Posts
The 9 Steyr is the only ammo I use on my M400, and almost the only "Largo" ammo you can get here.

It's funny but it's extremely hard to get a single box of 25 rounds of SB 9 Largo ammo here, and if you do it, price can be at least 3 times the price you have there.........

·
Registered
579 Posts
I scoured the pawn shops yesterday and found a single box of CCI Blazer 124 gr. nonreloadable. I hope there is demand enough for one of the makers to make another run of 9 Largo. Graf has been making Carcano ammo again, surely there is a greater demand for Largo than that. Star, MGMike, thanks for the education I wouldn't have known what 9mm Steyr was if it fell on me, I'll be looking for some. Star are you also a seller on Gunbroker?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
The CCI Blazer is not really satisfactory for Spanish pistols. It is loaded just as hot as the NC Santa Barbara so it's not suitable for Astra 400s, and the narrow extractor groove in the aluminum case causes stoppages when used in some Star Model A and A Supers.

M

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
The aluminum-cased Blazer Largo is safe to use for practice or fun in the Star; just figure that you may have to clear a few stoppages. It is insufficiently reliable for defensive use.

Your A Super probably will work with .38 Super; buy a box and see.

M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts