Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the strange thing, no marks on the ricasso of any sought .The only marks found are on the locket and chape, are a tiny A. I have had a look at the tang and there is nothing. The blade tip seems to be about a half to three quarters of an inch short of the scabbard drag.
Kind regards.
Glen

·
Gold Bullet member
2,133 Posts
I found a Russian site that stated that unmarked Shashka’s were used by the Mongolian Army. I have one just like the one pictured.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,133 Posts
I believe the officer’s model Shashka lacked a bayonet holder.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
What Len.S. mentioned could be explanation as no CCCP markings there, some were made in war period with simplified pommel, possible here could be one of it, or export piece to Mongolia or other country.
The design looks ok to me. Detailed photos of end of pommel and A proof could helpfull.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
What Len.S. mentioned could be explanation as no CCCP markings there, some were made in war period with simplified pommel, possible here could be one of it, or export piece to Mongolia or other country.
The design looks ok to me. Detailed photos of end of pommel and A proof could helpfull.
Hello. Couple of points. As mentioned the "commander's" version lacked bayonet mounts, but also, mid-war they stared leaving off those mounts anyway on new ones and refurbed alike. The fit, finish and quality of construction all point to a genuine M1921 Shaska. Repros can be spotted pretty quickly by the excessively long ricasso found on them as well as a welter of less than authentic markings. They actually handle like a real sword vs. a crowbar. Speaking of markings you may find them under the hilt. I have one dated 1938 but the only way to see that date is to disassemble the sword. (Not hard, file out the middle of an appropriate screw driver to remove the pommel nut, then use an adjustable wrench to take off the nut that secures the grip. Make sure to realign everything exactly during reassembly.) Regards, ABTOMAT

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nazi Shastas are Bogus I wish I knew how to post pictures .I'd show you guys A Couple of well marked real ones ! Wheres the 91 bayonet holders ?
About 20 years ago IMA and Atlanta Cutlery offered them for $89.95.The Indian who owns A C has an iron works factory in India and is in cahoots with IMA and makes parts for IMA .Lately the Patch boxs for Brunswick Rifles and Gurka blade bayonets for Martini rifles and most of the re-pop bayonets on the market now.Higher
quality, compared to the Chinese junk ! Try selling one to an expert , NO SALE ! They are kinda neat though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some further photos of the only markings on the sword. they appear on the drag and the locket an upright A. Screws on the scabbard seem to have been there a long time. There are no tang marks
under the grip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.