Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nearby thread on stagnant prices for a (Clinton-era?) Colt AR got me thinking: Looming Second Amendment repeal or not, there are just so many individuals who want another AR15, or who don't have one yet and still want one.

And yet every bubba and his brother seem to be cranking them out, plus the usual makers, plus the current owners of former old-line brands that 40 years would have been as likely to build AR as Glock to build a blunderbuss but are pushing them out now.

Perhaps a specific shock stimulates demand - say a bill to impose retroactive "NFA" registration on existing semi-auto "assault weapons" looks like it will go all-the-way. Would that juice the market or cause potential buyers to run away?

Presumably a straigthforward, comprehensive ban on new manufacture and import would light a fire under many, and then we would discover how deep the demand for the type really penetrates.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,097 Posts
glut,, maybe, but demand is still high,

we sell every M4 looking AR we can get, and could sell more,

parts have dried up, or rather gotten in short supply due to demand, so lower's are not moving as fast
seems from what I heard as well that LPK's are getting expensive as well, (I have not looked)

I did stick a couple lowers on gunborker last month and they sold at MSRP, but not any higher, suggests to me they are not in high demand, (may change after the election)

Pre Ban's and what the young folks call Muskets, (A2's or 20" guns) have been slow to sell for a good while

·
Registered
836 Posts
Demand for ARs seemed to have slumped sharply by 2018-2019. After 3 years of Trump and relative peace from the prospect of a confiscatory policy by government, pretty much everyone who wanted one, had gotten one. You could build or buy a decent entry level AR for $400. Probably cheaper if you were really motivated. (You could also find very capable and solid pistols like Rugers and 1st gen S&W M&Ps for $250 or less.)

Then Covid came on the scene, people started hoarding toilet paper, and suddenly everybody and their brother decided that a gun was very necessary: if toilet paper was in short supply, food would be next, and pretty soon it was going to be full-on Mad Max. Then people also woke to the fact that -wow- this is a presidential election year, the leftist candidates are all making strong sounds about radical gun control to appeal to their base of weaklings and complainers.... and there have been a lot of riots and assorted civil unrest all across the country, especially in white, wealthy areas.

So in addition to the folks who are now thinking that “two is one and one is none,” and stocking up, there’s a whole new demographic of people who would never have entertained buying an AR a year ago but who are now in the market. So I suspect that the suppliers of rifles and components will be doing a brisk business for the foreseeable future, but especially until the election and it’s aftermath.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
IMO a good AR with no functioning problems is a good tool to have "just in case" things get so crazy that they are truly needed to protect one's self, family and property from being taken over by an anti-America group. No AR, but have a good M1A, M1 Grand or M1 Carbine? I'd take any of them if the times called for personal defense. Most of the current "brand names" I am not familiar with their quality and reliability. They all are a little over powered for Urban use IMO.
And although I have a SP1 I would prefer my trusty, reliable M1 carbine with plenty of magazines and a reliable magazine reloader that as one dropped it was getting a fresh supply of bullets. No matter which you choose a lot of practice snap shooting at multiple targets is a must. Just putting bullets down range doesn't help relieve the situation if the bullets don't hit the intended target. IMO a good reliable, large capacity pistol is also necessary with several magazines full and ready to go. I have 4 that at gun fighting range there is no doubt the target is gonna have multiple hits in a kill zone. All have multiple magazines. If I run out of bullets on one, I can switch guns and the "loader" can have them reloaded in a very short time.
The "loader" is well versed with all of these pistols plus their own "go to" gun, and is just as deadly of a shot as I am.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.