Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
copper Bullet Member
11,467 Posts
I have a couple issues regarding USPS MO's. Again the only time i've been taken in decades was right here on our trader. filed USPS complaints, follow ups and nothing. OP got banned and that's it. The Other is our local PO got robbed just before we left the PRK. Thieves stole all the mail, cash, stamps and, most disturbingly, the MO machine,along with all the boxes of blank MO's and the Computers that ran it. Was told it was a well organized gang who specialized it hitting POs. Not sure what safeguards are out their but you're basically on your own. Maybe a PO type can chime in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe my coffee isn't properly caffeinated this morning. Can someone explain how a photo of a gun with a dollar bill through the trigger guard will validate a gun for sale? Thanks..
Making the seller produce a picture of the gun in question along with something totally unique shows that they actually have the gun and didn't just grab a photo from a museum or someone elses posting or from the internet.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Making the seller produce a picture of the gun in question along with something totally unique shows that they actually have the gun and didn't just grab a photo from a museum or someone elses posting or from the internet.
Sure, it helps, but unfortunately it doesn't protect you from flat out thieves. I've bought quite a few guns locally that were posted on Armslist, but they were all FTF transactions. Very little risk there.

But I recently did get scammed on a deal for some gun parts that were posted on my local site but far enough away that it wasn't worth driving. Even though the guy provided additionally requested photos and responded to communications in a non-scammer manner, he turned out to be a flat out thief. Despite doing some due diligence, I probably let my guard down a bit because the dollar amount wasn't great. At least with forums like GB, you can do some background checking on a poster, at least to know how long they have been a member, research old posts, check for other feedback, etc., and make a more informed decision about their trustworthiness. Other sites with built in feedback systems make it even easier to judge. For example, I'm pretty confident doing a deal with someone on AR15.com or AK Files with 100+ positive feedback transactions. Armlist is pretty much anonymous for private sales, so it. takes more diligence.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,467 Posts
I think some thieves target folks who have a dollar or effort limit on going after them. In CA you can scam $999.99 and only face a misdemeanor if caught. California leads the way on putting a actual dollar limit on honesty and decency.

BTW organized crime is really loving it!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like most have been saying if you're going to use Armslist do the deal face to face. I've bought and sold on them here in AZ and never had a problem. We meet up and a lot of times if possible shoot the firearm and that way we both know the gun works and everybody's happy. That's the way Armslist is set up. Person to person. If you do an out of area deal, well that's up to you but you are taking a risk and that's your call, not Armslist's. Don't run down the whole site because of your decision.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,467 Posts
MAn That sucks, They charge too much already for a USPS MO.. USPS insurance is already very pricey and now a fee for deadbeats!!!!! Makes USPS MOs for less than 100 seem not cost effective. Even makes PayPal look good. (and that was tough to write or say!!!)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You can buy on Armslist just be very weary. Use common sense. If it's sounds too good to be true it is.

What always helps keep me in check is that my money......the money I worked for.....is more valuable to me than any firearm ever made.....P E R I O D !!! Meaning I'd rather have my money than some firearm. So for me to part with it you have to prove it

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are a couple of scammers on Armslist in the Phoenix AZ area right now...... I flag 'em and they come right back up.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,023 Posts
If I were the owner of the site, who makes money on those that pay for upgraded membership, I would have people working to check the flags that are put up by members, safer the site, more membership that would pay to open storefronts. K98 sniper is still there after months of flagging

https://www.armslist.com/posts/10679369/texas-rifles-for-sale--mauser-k98-

And dont buy the lugers with the speckled tan and white carpet background,,,,all closed Gunbroker sales

·
Registered
103 Posts
Guy advertising on armslist a sniper rifle with the same description and picture as an item on GB. Flagged every day for 2 weeks. Finally emailed armslist with a description of the scam.... and they removed it.
Pretty pathetic that an obvious fraud took so much time to get removed. And shows what is really going on with this website.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,467 Posts
Wonder if anyone figured out they could make a buck off fraud and bad sellers/buyers by creating a "vetting" service. Would require researching scam artists, blocked bidders and negative feedback on all the auction sites along with court records. Think many buyers and sellers alike would love to be able to "vet" who they are dealing with. Probably already exists? Ever run someone on MyLife?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seems like scammers are at an all time high on armslist.
I routinely check several websites for Walther PP, PPK, Mauser C96 and a few other items. I just amazes me the number of GB ads that show up on armslist, identical in every way (except the price, of course).
You can also highlight a local listing on armslist, and paste it into a nationwide search.... many times to see the same identical ad in different states by different users.
I am reporting these obvious frauds to armslist, but growing weary of their failure to act or respond.
I am sure many board members are aware of this, however I have never seen so much BS activity as recently.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,728 Posts
Turn it over to ATF...all the information you have directed complaints..
and keep calling back,
till you have enlightened everyone to this guys needs problems exposed!

getting your money worth of skin.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I bought a beautiful unfired Henry .45-70 a couple years ago off Armslist. Drove an hour to a neighboring city for it. No issues at all. The gun is a creampuff, at a fair price. FTF is fine I think.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts