Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
File a claim. And they can check and see who deposited it where and when. And you can get a refund.
Not 100% sure on that! Long story short back in 1979 a comp had a ad in TV guide for some new mens watches very cheap, this was about 5 weeks before Christmas and I ordered 2 for my brothers as gits and used a USPS Money Order for $69. (lot of $ back then) !

2 weeks later I called them and order delayed the Secretary said, then another week later called again and was assured they would be here for Christmas but a week before Christmas same story. They never came so I bought other gifts 2 days before Christmas.

Well finally after Christmas was able to get in touch with Company again and they said Sorry but there were so many sold and they ran out but mine would be shipped next few weeks etc..

By that time the Phone was disconnected and I called Post Office and was told to see a Postal Inspector downtown and they took my name, number etc.. and was told they will work on the issue. 1 month later big story in TV Guide saying this Comp was a Huge scam and the owner left country with Millions etc..

Six yrs. later (yes 6 yrs. later) accidentally saw another story in TV guide again saying the BI cought te dude but most of the $$ Money was gone and most victims would not get it back.

I called the Postal Inspector and told him about the dude being caught etc... about 6 months later had to go to the Postal Inspector ang I did finally get my $69.00 back, but had I not seen the story after 6 yrs. about his capture and me then contacting USPS, I never would have got my money back!!

Last yr. needed a pressure washer the 1 I wanted had prices all over and finally found it $30. cheaper on E-Bay for $189.00 then any other place and the comp. had a huge webpage on everything they sold so I ordered it and was told it would be sent in 1 week, but then nothing I called back and was told delayed will get USPS track in a few days when shipped and I got Track number but it simply showed "Pre-Ship" info.

1 week later it showed shipped and 3 days later said returned to Shipper, I called back and was told USPS messed up and will be shipped again but another week later and nothing, called E-Bay and was told had to wait 30 days etc..

Seller called 2 days later saying again it is on the way. I then did research on web and many had same issue and seller was fake but had used a real webpage from another company whose name was 1 letter different than his,

I then called Master Card and told them I was a theft victim for $189. and after talking to 3 people there and 1 hr. later was told I was not a "Theft Victim" but had a simple misunderstanding since I bought and they would do their best and there was a slim chance I maSoy never get it back!!!

Then called Pay-Pal since all payments on E-Bay go through them and Pay-Pal expedited my issue and said I will have my money back in 48 hrs. and I did. So Pay-pal saved me quickly and hassle free and I don't know what would have happened if not for Pay-pal since my CC had told me this issue of mine would take 30-60 days or longer!

So even C Cards wont always save you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can attest to also not buying on armslist, nearly got sxammed on a K98 mauser. Thankfully I realized it was a scam before sending money

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes best advice is just to stay away from Armslist. Yes people have had good luck on there but its not worth the risk or having a 72 point check list to try and make sure you wont get scammed.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,533 Posts
You should only buy in person, on ARMSLIST due to the high number of scammers. I've found some great items on ARMSLIST, though.
This /\ Armslist is designed for FTF transactions, anyone who offers to ship should be looked at as a scammer IMO. The entire idea of them listing firearms by state and then by city is to allow for FTF transactions. I've only bought a few firearms off Armslist, all FTF transactions, I've never had an issue.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,023 Posts
Yep scamming doesnt work well face to face,,,,but would be a much more profitable site with proper oversight

·
Silver Bullet member
48,766 Posts
Gun broker is where I picked up..rare pre production example.and husquvarnia made Swede!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
File a claim with the Postal Inspection Service...

They will go after the scammer for: "Using the mails to defraud".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got scammed on Armslist too, cost me about $1000, called the Sheriff where I sent money and my local Sheriff, nothing done, after talking with a postal worker she suggested I file a claim with A Postal Inspector, I am going to do that as it is mail fraud. I also have bought and sold items on Armslist with great results, I have been scammed on Gunbroker also, but there Gunbroker stepped in and helped resolve the problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Gotten got on fleabay a few times but only because I didn’t look hard enough. I only use Gunbroker and have never not gotten what I bought, it might not had been what I thought it was....but once again I didn’t look hard enough. Nowdays I look at the # of transactions and the feedback. I look hard when I see a no return policy too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Let me start by saying I really dislike the fact that all buyers and sellers on Armslist are not required to provide positive identification. I remember sites that wouldn't let you use them without providing a CC. Seems Armslist does pretty well ($$) so I don't know that it would be that hard, or expensive to implement an identification system.

Having said that, I have bought and sold a LOT of items on Armlist and have never had a problem. I have actually had more problems on eBay than Armslist.

1. Is the seller a Premium Vendor (like I am)? I have never heard a complaint against a premium vendor

2. Others suggested using a USPS MO....I prefer to use a CC. This has gotten complicated since Square and PayPal have banned gun transactions, but I know many who still use PP or Square so they can use their credit card. To be "legal", I got a CC Merchant account.

If you only buy from Premium Vendors and only use a CC, you won't get burned. I just sold a gun to a guy in Florida. It got squirrely because he thought I was selling a fake item. Since neither him nor his FFL were able to find the model of gun I was selling. The buyer Googled my business, he did a Street View of my business, and spent some time on the phone with him to reassure him. Then I had to deal with his FFL who called me. Essentially calling the item I was selling to "not be real" because he was unable to find a source for the gun. My ad clearly stated it was a limited production, limited edition item and as far as I know, only available through one distributor. Since the buyer used his CC, he had no risk and we completed the transaction. Because I am a Premium vendor and because I was able to accept his CC (not PP), they trusted me and he was able to get the LP/LE gun and is thrilled with it.

I despise the fact that Armslist doesn't manage the buyers and sellers very well, they don't react as I think they should to fake ads. I too have reported fraudulent sellers, all in vain. Kind of like Craigslist which is a scammer haven.

Don't buy the Brooklyn Bridge or swamp land in Florida. Be wise, take precautions, and don't miss out on otherwise excellent opportunities like my buyer in Florida did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've sold many guns on Armslist without a problem. Always FTF, cash only, no trades, no shipping. I plainly state MY terms and conditions on the ad with the admonition that it's my terms and there's no deviation. I wouldn't think of shipping any guns. If someone wants a gun shipped I tell them the name and location of one of my local gun shops where they can make all arrangements for shipping after I've received a cashier's check and two weeks for it to clear my bank. Only then will I drop it off at the dealer's for an additional $35.00 fee added to the purchase price. Funny how that stops scammers as shipping is a prime territory for theft by deception. No shipping, no theft.

I see Armslist ads all the time that raise questions, yet there's always someone who gets taken. Many times the buyer loses common sense, intuition, and forgets due diligence. Far better to pay more in a secure FTF transaction than lose all your money on a hope and a prayer.

It's too bad for your loss, but a scammer relies on your playing his con game and many eagerly do so. Do business in a business-like manner, trust no one to look out for your interests, and learn from your mistakes.

Gun buying and selling is business. Treat it as such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain, I too thought I was getting a good deal and found out after a couple of days after contact that the listing was flagged as scam. As usual, a couple of days too late. I was advised to fill out a form with the FBI that I had been scammed with all of the details and never heard squat. Armslist warns you not to send anyone money and only do FTF. Gunbroker I've been told will actually cover your loss if it happens, but I have no experience with that. All of my GB transactions have been pretty smooth. Best advice is go with your instincts and if it's too good to be true, it probably is. I like the dollar in the triggerguard idea, but that only let's you know he has the gun he's posted.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I've only tried to buy one gun on Armslist, and the transaction was flawless. It was FTF (the only way I would consider it), and I got a very fine, unfired rifle at a good price.

·
Vendor
895 Posts
Only buy from Premium Vendors if you are afraid of getting scammed. It’s generally very easy to spot scam ads on there. If it’s too cheap or if it just lists the state twice as the area, 99% of the time it is a scam. To be a Premium Vendor, you have to verify your FFL and pay $300 a year. I have made several sales and all were good people who knew scammers when they saw their ads. Can a foreign scammer get ahold of an FFL, pay the fee and become a Premium Vendor? Pretty unlikely, but in the real world, there is always a chance. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have done a couple of face to face transactions here in Arizona, without a problem.
Would never do any other type of purchase on Armslist. The phony ads are there every day, easy to recognize, and even though flagged they seem to pop up again in short order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ask em for photo with dollar bill through trigger guard. If they actually have item its a simple request. I dont know why whoever owns and runs armslist is such a lazy careless person. Ive grown tired of trying to sell nice militaria at shows, but if owner of site lets it run wild why pay for a storefront?
Maybe my coffee isn't properly caffeinated this morning. Can someone explain how a photo of a gun with a dollar bill through the trigger guard will validate a gun for sale? Thanks..

21 - 40 of 55 Posts