21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
That pretty much sums up an answer to the question.

"Under the Crown" was the only thing I could think of to call the sphere of British influence at varying times and differing regions. With the rich history, convoluted as it is, along with what some might call.....I think 'convoluted' covers all that.

As far as there being a reference to once possibly being a former ordnance facility, was that during the period of the ZA/Israel military partnership and UN sanctions/interference.? If so, that doesn't count within the gist of the original query.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
That pretty much sums up an answer to the question.

"Under the Crown" was the only thing I could think of to call the sphere of British influence at varying times and differing regions. With the rich history, convoluted as it is, along with what some might call.....I think 'convoluted' covers all that.

As far as there being a reference to once possibly being a former ordnance facility, was that during the period of the ZA/Israel military partnership and UN sanctions/interference.? If so, that doesn't count within the gist of the original query.

Cheers :)
JB, my answer was entirely related to the Second World War period. More recently, and into the current period, there were and are government run armament factories.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ian Skennerton has a list of Indian and Sub-Continent Manufacturers in The Broad Arrow, Mk2, pgs. 64/65.
Not small arms, but the East India Company had many Arsenals and Manufactories for Ordnance and Gunpowder, some of which continued in use following the Mutiny.
There is a book on the subject by Brig. H A Young, who was Director of Ordnance Factories, 1917 - 1920.
Do you have a title for the book by Brig. H A Young?

Regards

AlanD

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
It's a book held by the RA Museum but re-printed by www.naval-military-press.com, entitled 'The East India Company's Arsenals & Manufactories', originally published February, 1937, 243pgs., Brigadier-General H A Young. Well indexed.
ISBN 9 781845 740207, but may be still available from NMP.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
51,173 Posts
It's a book held by the RA Museum but re-printed by www.naval-military-press.com, entitled 'The East India Company's Arsenals & Manufactories', originally published February, 1937, 243pgs., Brigadier-General H A Young. Well indexed.
ISBN 9 781845 740207, but may be still available from NMP.
thanks for that,

just ordered one off amazon

·
Registered
423 Posts
Besides Bayonets, did South Africa make any Enfield rifle parts?
I attach an example of one of the many archival document copies in my possession. During WW II South Africa produced numerous minor SMLE parts including handguard caps, nose caps magazine cases, swivels, extractors, various screws, butt plates, etc, etc. Barrels were manufactured from towards the end of the war.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts