Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diamond Member
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the eleventh day of the eleventh month again. Thank you to all the veterans out there. For Armistice Day, and to those where today is Remembrance Day, I post this video again:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I had a strange dad concerning this annual event, he didn't give a damn about those 11 November celebrations and never attended one (as long as I remember). Probably because he "was there" and wasn't interested in telling others how it was ... not even to his three sons ... only to his wife (my mom) who told us things in a more gentle way of some of his adventures. I understand now ... only this last 20 years you know. I understood that the future of the offspring is so much more important as the past of the veterans. Do not understand me wrong ... their sacrifices are beyond words but we do not live for yesterday, we live for tomorrow ... at least this is the lesson that we brothers got.
I permit me to show a picture out of the military file of my dad once again where anybody can conclude that he didn't have the occasion to meet any of his family or friends in 4,6 years ... the adventure, for him, began at the age of 20. Present in August 1914 in the first Grenadier Regiment, 18th Company of the Maxim MG's.
You know what I think? I once was twenty also and "immortal" ... let me assure you that I changed my mind during time.
There is also something I certainly said here before, a saying of my dad: "On the battlefield, and when it stinks ... you do not fight for your country, your King, your family or friends ... you fight with and for your present comrades and hope to stay alive!". For him, there was no honor on the battlefield, there were the sweat, the tears and some hope to survive. This was the way he saw it in his youth in WWI.

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,159 Posts
My grandfather, Sgt, Infantry, CEF.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
I had a strange dad concerning this annual event, he didn't give a damn about those 11 November celebrations and never attended one (as long as I remember). Probably because he "was there" and wasn't interested in telling others how it was ... not even to his three sons ... only to his wife (my mom) who told us things in a more gentle way of some of his adventures. I understand now ... only this last 20 years you know. I understood that the future of the offspring is so much more important as the past of the veterans. Do not understand me wrong ... their sacrifices are beyond words but we do not live for yesterday, we live for tomorrow ... at least this is the lesson that we brothers got.
I permit me to show a picture out of the military file of my dad once again where anybody can conclude that he didn't have the occasion to meet any of his family or friends in 4,6 years ... the adventure, for him, began at the age of 20. Present in August 1914 in the first Grenadier Regiment, 18th Company of the Maxim MG's.
You know what I think? I once was twenty also and "immortal" ... let me assure you that I changed my mind during time.
There is also something I certainly said here before, a saying of my dad: "On the battlefield, and when it stinks ... you do not fight for your country, your King, your family or friends ... you fight with and for your present comrades and hope to stay alive!". For him, there was no honor on the battlefield, there were the sweat, the tears and some hope to survive. This was the way he saw it in his youth in WWI.

Thank you BC.

Very moving and understandable. This is the very reason why 18 to 21 year old's make the best fodder for the ugliness of war. Going in, they believe they are indestructible. "It won't happen to ME!.....But to someone else." By the time they are on the battlefield and learn the truth, it has already become a matter of survival and the will to live.

All of us, as we get older, see these myths unravel based on life's experiences. Our hat's off to your Father and the millions of other men who rose to the occasion and performed their duty, as ugly as the situation and circumstances were.

God bless them all.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did our annual WWI shoot... A pair of 1916's. I guess my favorite tribute was this:

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

sunset3.jpg sunset2.jpg sunset1.jpg

Thanks to everyone who served.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Figured this thread is worth bringing back up. I went shooting with Atob37. Here's my WW1 shoot lineup. Wish I could hear their stories.
smallarmistice2012-11-11_16-12-49_586.jpg smallarmistice2012-11-11_16-15-51_827.jpg smallarmistice2012-11-11_17-01-57_433.jpg
Im very proud of my Grandfather, who was a Navy officer in the Pacific during WW2. I wish I could have heard some of his stories. Thank you veterans!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts