Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a Nagoya Type 99 for sale at a local shop for $200. Condition is alright, with definite wear, but the mum is intact and un-molested. It's an earlier rifle with provisions for the monopod and dust cover, but is missing both. The cleaning rod is there, as are the wings for the AA site. Numbers all match. Is it a decent deal?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Heck a mummed all matching type 99 that has the cleaning rod for $200 would make anyone jump on it in a heartbeat. You can find the wings on ebay if you really want some but that is an amazing price for that rifle. I know I would buy it at that price:thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
Sounds like a nice rifle and well below market for mum'ed & matching. You can find original Monopods for $75 (if Lucky) to about $125 - not quite the price of even your rifle. While replacing a monopod on a $350 rifle will not a lot of value, in your case I think it would be worth it. Slings are a different story, nice leather will be over $200, which is what I paid for a nice real one about 2 years ago. Again, trouble is may not increase the value of the rifle that much. Most of the repro leather slings are just tooooo new looking. There is a guy that make them out of old dark oiled Swedish slings, easy for the knowledgeable to spot, but looks good (adds to the completeness), and about $30 or $40 on Ebay. Just my 2 cents - Skid

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Your rifle may not be missing anything. A rifle "missing" the monopod and dust cover means nothing. It very well could have been built that way. Depending on the series.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
As Roy says, it may be original as it is. Also, it will never be original again if you add something missing, like AA rear sights or a pod. Even with provisions for one or both, it may have never had them. Alter nothing until you know exactly what is what. I see way too may firearms that have been "corrected" only to be messed with.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As Roy says, it may be original as it is. Also, it will never be original again if you add something missing, like AA rear sights or a pod. Even with provisions for one or both, it may have never had them. Alter nothing until you know exactly what is what. I see way too may firearms that have been "corrected" only to be messed with.
+1

And the fact is that if you buy an original pod or wings, it's almost a given that you're taking it from a rifle that had them and as such you're destroying the history of that rifle.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Based on the photo shown, I would hold off dropping too much extra money into it. Based on the condition, at $200 you want to leave yourself some room to get back out of it if later on you decide to upgrade. The problem that I have seen is that folks buy on the low end (i.e., condition, mis-matched, sanded stock, etc) just to "get an example". Then later on when they try to upgrade, they are lucky to get their money back and the proposition gets worse with the more money they have dumped into it. And in the meantime, the "nicer" guns have gone up in value making that much harder to afford. You might be better served saving up and paying a little more for a nice example which will only go up in value and you won't have trouble selling down the road (likely for a profit) if you should choose to do so. Just MHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts