Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! First time poster here, but I've been interested in Japanese weapons since childhood (even had my dad help me tape this documentary onto a VHS when it was playing on the History channel :D
). Also, first time gun buyer. My dad passed away late last year, and I inherited one of his rifles, but growing up, I only got to go shoot with him once, so in a way, this has been a way to honor his memory.

Fast forward from that nerdy child a couple decades, and I got the chance to live in Japan (on the U.S. Navy's dime no less ;) ). Returning home to the States recently, I realized I wanted to hold a piece of that WWII history in hand. So over the last month I've been studying, watching lots of Youtube videos, reading here, and only last week started bidding on some Type 38s on GunBroker. I lost, but then last night, I saw this little beauty:

Arisaka Type 44 - For Sale :: Guns.com

Admittedly, it's a little rough for wear, and I understand I may be taking a gamble based on potentially mismatched parts, the crossed-out Mum, and a little rust on the dust cover. BUT! I'll pay $716 total after FFL fees and taxes, and I was getting outbid on Type 38s at that price. Japan only made 91,000 Type 44s (compared to 7.5m 38s/99s), and I just couldn't resist blowing some fun money on this.

If nothing else, taking this to the range and cracking that fixed bayonet into place is going to get some good smiles and conversation going. I'm excited. I understand it's rough, but I took the gamble. When I get it in hand in a couple weeks, I'll have more photos to add and let you know about matching parts. But in the meantime, how do you think I did?

Next up (in a few months once the war chest is refilled) is a Type 38!

Very respectfully,
Michael

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome to Gunboards! Not a bad price at all and looks to be in decent shape. Start hunting for 6.5x50 ammo now so you can shoot it!

I have two that have seen lots of use. IMO, they are the coolest Japanese rifle. I regret selling a nice one to a guy who had to have it but recently picked up another matching/mum’s no series Nagoya to replace the void.

Make sure to post pictures when you get it. Lots of knowledgeable members here that are glad to help. I would also advise getting a few books on the Type 30/38/44/97/99 rifles.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,061 Posts
Welcome aboard! 👍

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Hello everyone! First time poster here, but I've been interested in Japanese weapons since childhood (even had my dad help me tape this documentary onto a VHS when it was playing on the History channel :D
). Also, first time gun buyer. My dad passed away late last year, and I inherited one of his rifles, but growing up, I only got to go shoot with him once, so in a way, this has been a way to honor his memory.

Fast forward from that nerdy child a couple decades, and I got the chance to live in Japan (on the U.S. Navy's dime no less ;) ). Returning home to the States recently, I realized I wanted to hold a piece of that WWII history in hand. So over the last month I've been studying, watching lots of Youtube videos, reading here, and only last week started bidding on some Type 38s on GunBroker. I lost, but then last night, I saw this little beauty:

Arisaka Type 44 - For Sale :: Guns.com

Admittedly, it's a little rough for wear, and I understand I may be taking a gamble based on potentially mismatched parts, the crossed-out Mum, and a little rust on the dust cover. BUT! I'll pay $716 total after FFL fees and taxes, and I was getting outbid on Type 38s at that price. Japan only made 91,000 Type 44s (compared to 7.5m 38s/99s), and I just couldn't resist blowing some fun money on this.

If nothing else, taking this to the range and cracking that fixed bayonet into place is going to get some good smiles and conversation going. I'm excited. I understand it's rough, but I took the gamble. When I get it in hand in a couple weeks, I'll have more photos to add and let you know about matching parts. But in the meantime, how do you think I did?

Next up (in a few months once the war chest is refilled) is a Type 38!

Very respectfully,
Michael
Welcome to the best site on Japanese firearms on the net. There are many advanced collectors, including the authors of the books on Japsnese firearms, that participate here. Of course we have a few wannabe "experts" that come here also. Their negative postings aren't hard to spot. Take the best, and skip the rest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to hijack this post but I have a question that's not really worthy of starting a new thread. I recently picked up a no series Kokura Type 44 in the 30,000 range, And I noticed none of the screws appear to ever have been staked, is this typical?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Sorry to hijack this post but I have a question that's not really worthy of starting a new thread. I recently picked up a no series Kokura Type 44 in the 30,000 range, And I noticed none of the screws appear to ever have been staked, is this typical?
I don't recall having ever seen a single staked screw on any Type 30, 38, 38 carbine, or 44. Even rather late 38's.

My experience on 30's and 44's is only one each though.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I think it's most likely a good purchase. And not a bad looking example at all. Has a dust cover, so +$30-$80. Maybe it even has original cleaning rods in the butt? Would be a huge bonus.

On these old guns, and taking care of them, less is definitely more when you're new to them. Fight the urges to refinish any part of it, etc etc. Don't go after the rust right away, which almost all these guns have rust in the nooks and crannies.

And just be aware someone who knows the process can reverse surface rust back to bluing, unless the rust has been removed. Same with graying/browning 'patina' rust, it can be reversed if not removed with solvents or detergented oils.

And be aware the stock finish is a Japanese special stain lacquer mix that I don't think anyone here has the recipe for... and that boiled linseed oil is NOT what it needs...

It looks decent though, so ya.

All these warnings I wish I had gotten...

Welcome!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and welcome! Preservation is key for me, so no plans on refinishing, sanding, or any of that nonsense. My first step will be to take a bunch of pictures and post them here, and then I'd like to take it to a gunsmith a couple towns over and see if it's safe to shoot and analyze my options based on his opinions if he says it needs something further to shoot.

According to shipping tracking, I should have it Thursday the 14th, so here's hoping!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay! Took me a few days, in part because I caught the bug and now actually have a small collection of Arisakas. There were a couple gun shows nearby this weekend, so I went and also acquired a Type 99 and Type 38. I’ll post separately on those.

But the Type 44 is WAY better in person that I thought it would be. The action is smooth. The rust on the dust cover is minimal. The bayonet is solid and powerful and clicks into place very well. The dings in the stock aren’t as bad as they first appeared.

And as an added bonus, it had half of a cleaning rod wedged very deeply in the stock, but I got it out and cleaned it.

I picked up a leather sling for $1 at the show. I know it doesn’t match, but it’s fun to carry it around now.

For getting this at about half the going rate, I’m over the moon.

Wood Musical instrument Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Wood Revolver Gun accessory Plumbing Flashlight
Wood Bicycle part Rim Gun accessory Metal
Brown Wood Sleeve Beige Window
Musical instrument String instrument Wood Plucked string instruments String instrument accessory
Bedrock Road surface Formation Camouflage Grass

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A few years ago I purchased a Mint condition Type 44 for $5,000.00. Members here said I would take it to my grave. I sold the Type 44 a few months ago for $6,500.00. It kind of goes, what you pay for an item and enjoy having it, doesn't mean it's not worth what you paid for it. Have fun and remember the memories.
I do have an extra Type 44 Variation 2 Kokura manufacturing with flush rivets, muzzle cover if your interested.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kaydee , thanks! I feel pretty lucky to have snagged this one. As a child watching that documentary, the thought of a blade permanently attached was SO cool. To own it now feels pretty special.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts