Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I own a Arisaka Type 38 and was always wondering about the strange kanji it has on the receiver, also the Crysanthenum is missing and I have problems identifying the series marking besides the serial number. Maybe someone can help me out here (Picture 1 - 4).

Some days ago I also bought a Arisaka Type 30 Bayonet for my Arisaka Type 38 rifle. It is a Nagoya Star-K Variation A if I'm not mistaken. I paid ~110 US $ for it and was wondering if I made a good deal (I hope so :p). Maybe someone can give me some more details about the Bayonet and the series markings on it, I'm not sure which series it is (Arisaka Bajonett - 01 - 08).

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany :)

Zim

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Japanese manufacture Type 38 rifle that was converted by the Chinese to 8mm caliber. Does it have any Chinese markings on the stock?

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,536 Posts
Your rifle appears to be a 26 Series Nagoya Type 38 that was rechambered to 8 mm Mauser and used by the Chinese post WW 2. Breech reads 7.9 Caliber (right to left).

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts
Chinese reads" 79 (InfantryCalibre) Type" (reading right to left in traditional Chinese); "79" ( 7,9mm) was the correct method for identifying the 7,9x57 Cartridge, and Rifle.
The Chinese had a lot of rifles marked variously with logos saying " For Infantry Supply 79 (ammo)", a handy method to have correct ammo for the multiplicity of Calibres they used during the 20s-49. Italian Carcanos ( close to 80,000 supplied in the 1920s) were known as "Type 65 or Type 66". Chinese Built Arisaka T38 were also known as "Type 65", but occasionally as "Type 38" ( Chinese Hotchkiss copies of the Japanese 1905 (T38 Model) were still called T38 when built in 7,9mm...so go figure!!!!

So the rifle is a collectors item in its own right, as a Japanese Converted to Chinese in the 1946-48 period.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV ballistics.
Brisbane Australia

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Thanks a bunch guys for the detailed an interesting infos & pics! :)

@Icebox: Unfortuantely my stock is too used to identify any possible markings on it like the one in your pic. It is nearly black and has a lot of dents.

Can someone identify the series marking of the Bayonet? I can't really find something similar in any on the online marking lists. Or at least nothing so similar I'd say "this is it".

Regards

Zim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.