Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a garage sale and a guy had this in a box. The bore is .255" ish, and the barrel is defiantly carbine length. There are a bunch of parts also, and he said they were from this rifle and another. Any ID help of what this thing is would be very appreciated. Also what parts go to this thing and what the other parts are for would be awesome. It uh.....also was in an evidence box....so ill try to find out more info on that for anyone interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The parts are a mxture of Type 38, Type 99 and trainer parts, with some one off parts like a Mauser front band, Garand buttplate and M1903 front sight.

·
Registered
672 Posts
With 2 holes drilled in side of the receiver in front of bolt. I would say yes and hope you didn't pay much for that stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why would they drill holes like that? I paid $25 for everything.
Unless there is another pic I can't see the only visible holes are the two factory gas escape holes in the receiver ring. Those are original to a Type 38, not something done by Bubba. As to being sporterized the lack of a stock and the pile of assorted parts make me suspect that someone was once making bambi slayers out of old military rifles. The missing sights and turned down bolt handle would indicate the barreled action you got was probably an unfinished sporter project. For what you paid you got a good deal. Original parts (such as bands) are useful to people repairing or trying to restore guns and even if the barreled action is beyond economical restoration it could be the basis of a good sporting rifle

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Unless there is another pic I can't see the only visible holes are the two factory gas escape holes in the receiver ring. Those are original to a Type 38, not something done by Bubba. As to being sporterized the lack of a stock and the pile of assorted parts make me suspect that someone was once making bambi slayers out of old military rifles. The missing sights and turned down bolt handle would indicate the barreled action you got was probably an unfinished sporter project. For what you paid you got a good deal. Original parts (such as bands) are useful to people repairing or trying to restore guns and even if the barreled action is beyond economical restoration it could be the basis of a good sporting rifle
He's talking about the holes in the side of the receiver, not the gas escape holes. Look closer at the second to last pic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's talking about the holes in the side of the receiver, not the gas escape holes. Look closer at the second to last pic.
Oh I see now. They are also threaded..so aftermarket sights? Or optics? I bought a spotter stock off eBay(since it’s the only thing I could find) it was $114. It’s for a full length rifle. I’ll take it to my dad and between both of us I think we can, leave it be, or cut it down some and refinish it. Do any of the rear sights go with this rifle? Should I just keep it a sporter since it’s been bubbafied? The bore is absolutely mint. Really nice rifle, such a shame.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It was popular to add vernier "Peep" sights years ago. A couple companies made them for military rifles. Nothing wrong with a sporter. A factory stock will cost more than the gun is worth.

·
Registered
176 Posts
At the back of the receiver, I missed those. Probably had a Lyman (or similar) receiver sight on it at one time then. Would be easy enough to plug but if I were leaving it as a sporter I would probably look for one to put there. I much prefer them to the open sights for a hunting rifle.............. And with the other mods it's not really restorable to proper military (and collector) trim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the back of the receiver, I missed those. Probably had a Lyman (or similar) receiver sight on it at one time then. Would be easy enough to plug but if I were leaving it as a sporter I would probably look for one to put there. I much prefer them to the open sights for a hunting rifle.............. And with the other mods it's not really restorable to proper military (and collector) trim
What is the model number for that sight? I would like to eventually make it somewhat factory...because thats what turns me on, but for right now I just want it to shoot...then piece it together...since it seems a stock will be hard to find

·
Registered
816 Posts
M1 Garand butt plate there, too, not perfect, but usable to better than average.

Reactions: 148Infantry

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
$25 for all that is a score!
Check eBay out for how much a Type 99 rear sight with Anti Aircraft wings go for. I believe well over $50.
A complete bolt even sported bent down will sometimes reach $100. Parts for any military old WW2 rifles can sometimes be worth more than a complete gun.
If you had the time to sell the pile of parts you’d make a good profit.
Or keep the rifle as a shooter. It’s a sporter but probably a good inexpensive truck gun etc.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I see a complete Type 99 sight right now for $140 BIN. Just saying $25 is a win win for that haul. I’m jealous, thanks for sharing. Gives me hope for garage sales still!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Some of the barrel/sight bands ( collars ) are also Mauser, but to tell which is which would require more knowledge/documentation/currency than I have at the moment.

See notations on your photos here.

There are a lot of uncommon Japanese gee-gaws, including the aircraft "arms" that carry substantial value.

Yellow type is smaller than I intended. The M1 Garand butt plate, refurbished some or even if not, also has some value.

Attachments

Reactions: eldudderino

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Noting going to lie. That Boyd’s stock looks clean on there! Nice sporter you have coming along!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Looking for another item, and ran across K98k lower bands, many not as good condition as yours seems to be.

Lowest was $25.

Reactions: eldudderino
1 - 20 of 21 Posts