Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Looking for the safety, firing pin and spring for my existing matching Nagoya T99 Series 6 bolt #981 (some family member removed these for "safety" reasons in the 1970's).

Would prefer matching numbers, but will settle for another Nagoya Series 6 bolt that I can use to scavenge the parts I need.

· Registered
3 Posts
You seem to be very knowlegeable about the T 99 Rifles. Can you answer a question for me? My uncle brought home a Series 33 of the Toyo Kogyo Arsenal with serial number 75536, but the markings on the bolt, etc is # 962. I see a lot of mentions in the threads about bolts matching serial numbers. Please tell me what that means and which part of the serial number should the bolt match? It also has a bayonet attached.
Thanks, Don

· Gold Bullet Member
3,430 Posts
Hello Don :

The Japanese as well as the Germans were never able to achieve tight mass production tolerances where any part would fit and work on any rifle. So when assembling a rifle during manufacture a bolt would be fitted to a specific rifle its firing pin and extractor would be touched where needed and the safety knob adjusted. Before all the parts were then heat treated-blued-ect. they were stamped with the last one to three digits from the receiver serial number, that way the rifle was assembled with all its fitted parts before test firing and shipping out.
Bayonets were manufactured by subcontractors mostly under arsenal supervision and were issued out to the troops. Therefore the serial number of the gun and bayonet have no relationship to one another as long as the bayonet fits. Now in most early T-99 rifles the bayonet lug on the upper barrel band was also numbered with the last one to three digits just like the bolt assembly.
Vicasoto

· Registered
3 Posts
bolt # to serial # match?

Thanks for the reply, but I am still confused (as a novice) to the relationship of the bolt number to the serial number. Since my T 99
is a series 33 of Toyo Kogyo with serial number 75536, what bolt
number should have been initially installed on it? Also, the bolt
number appears to be a 962, but it could be a strange looking 162?
Did they make a number 1 with a left loopover that would look like
a number 9? Thanks for your tolerance of my questions. :confused::)

Don

· Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I am still confused (as a novice) to the relationship of the bolt number to the serial number. Since my T 99
is a series 33 of Toyo Kogyo with serial number 75536, what bolt
number should have been initially installed on it? Also, the bolt
number appears to be a 962, but it could be a strange looking 162?
Did they make a number 1 with a left loopover that would look like
a number 9? Thanks for your tolerance of my questions. :confused::)

Don
Your 33 series will use the last 3# on serial now the 30 & 20 series used assembly numbers they would be different than serial numbers

21 - 40 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.