Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I own an Arisaka 99, 7.7 x58 mm Japanese infantry rifle , I’ve had it since I was 17 and I am now 70. My Dad was a Marine and fought in the battle of Iwo Jima. After the cease file and raising of the flag, he acquired a few pistols and 2 Of these rifles, one was a standard issue to theJapanese Imperial Army and the other was a Paratrooper model (take-down).
We did have a lot money back then so there was no hunting rifles in the family. I asked my Dad if I could sporterize the model 99 into a deer rifle and he said okay. I knew very little about rifles back then and took a lot of advice from my Dad and a few other old timers, several told me to junk that thing because it was libel to blow up in my face. I did listen of course and set out to build me a hunting rifle. I ordered very rough cut out blank stock, removed the military stock, sites and trimmed the barrel length.. I had a friend in the blueing business who polished and reblued it for me while I was rasping and sanding the stock. In the end, I had constructed a rifle nice enough to start hunting deer with. I stopped working on this rifle far to soon and thus was never really satisfied with how it turned out. Since retiring in 2017, I’ve found it harder and harder to stay busy. A couple months ago, I pulled this rifle out of my gun safe and decided to spiff it up a bit. First I removed the black resin tip I had installed and the plastic butt plate then I began to reshape the pistol grip and the cheek pad. I bought a blank of Brazilian Blackwood and constructed a grip cap and a new forearm tip, then refinished the entire stock with hand rubbed True Oil, about 12 coats.
What I hadn’t done in the beginning was install a scope. I had only install a set of Williams iron sites. One, because I couldn’t afford a scope and the other, I could find proper mounts for a scope..
Today, I am about to remove the bolt handle that is original albeit bent in the first go round, then I will install a new modern rifle bolt handle.
I’ve described all this just to get to the bottom line. S& K mounts used to make a top mount for this rifle but due to low demand, they no longer do. I have however seen many set ups that include a mounted scope on either a 2-pc or 1- piece base. These appear to be in some cases, Weaver or Redfield but there is no information in the referenced article that tell me what they used.
My question is, what have any of you used for this rifle I am not going to use a scout mount with a long eye relief scope or some rendition of a side mounted scope. I want this gun to appear to be a normal customized rifle.
I am including a couple photos of my rifle followed by a few photos of what I’d like my end result to look like.
If you are so inclined, I would sure appreciate some advice from an old pro. Nay sayers need not bother.

My rifle as it currently appears:

Examples of what I want to accomplish as follows:

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice sportster. You can tell it’s had lots of love put into it.

You should be able to find S&K mounts floating around. I’ve seen the pop up on fleabay every so often. I did a quick search and found this site has them. Not sure if they have the extender to adjust for eye relief.

I’ve never met a gun I didn’t like. - Me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice sportster. You can tell it’s had lots of love put into it.

You should be able to find S&K mounts floating around. I’ve seen the pop up on fleabay every so often. I did a quick search and found this site has them. Not sure if they have the extender to adjust for eye relief.

I’ve never met a gun I didn’t like. - Me
Thanks EOD Guy for your reply.
I have found the mount you are referring to before but not what I am looking for. What I want is a standard hunting rifle type 1 or 2 piece top mount that can be installed with a standard (not long eye relief) scope. I have seen many pictures of a setup like i want and have included some of those pics in my post but have been unable to get the poster to reply to me on what mounts they found that worked for their setup.
I’ll keep searching and thanks again.
HG

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice rifle. You had to make do with what you had. Many "bring backs" were customized to the owners needs. At the time they were cheap and easy to come by. Put a nice scope on it and shoot it till your heart's content!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks EOD Guy for your reply.
I have found the mount you are referring to before but not what I am looking for. What I want is a standard hunting rifle type 1 or 2 piece top mount that can be installed with a standard (not long eye relief) scope. I have seen many pictures of a setup like i want and have included some of those pics in my post but have been unable to get the poster to reply to me on what mounts they found that worked for their setup.
I’ll keep searching and thanks again.
HG
Harvey, you can try Bad Ace Tactical, they don't make a scope mount for the T99, but if send them an email they might be thinking about producing them!
PS, They are no drill & tap style mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts