Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised...

Well I finally got them cleaned up. What a mess, primarliy the 40+ years of cigarette smoke on them and cosmoline. They were well preserved except for the smoke film. It was an amazing stroke of luck finding them all together especially when you consider the following production numbers:

University Battalion Crest...200
Military School Crest...175
Naval School Crest...75

As luck would further have it the Naval example pictured (the least of those produced) still retains the Argentine crest. Each is matching in every way and came with original serialed cleaning rod, brass muzzle cover and sling (not picutured yet, but they are beautiful). The Battalion and Military rods, you will note, are the original design with brass tip while the Naval has the later style all in steel. Additionally, the Battalion rifle has the original bolt design with non-flared bolt-sleeve. Also on the Battalion rifle, the stock crest on the side of the butt has been sanded. First time witnessing this in any examples I've seen. Interestingly, and something I need to look into, is the Naval's reciever is not serialed.

They all have excellent bores (near new), with crisp actions. Metal and wood overall is 95% or better on each.

Enjoy
RP

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
RP,

That's a beautiful set of M1891's, thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Silver Bullet Member
571 Posts
Nice!!!!!

Thanks for the photos. That sure is a beautiful trio.

Ski

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
RP, I enjoyed very much your Mausers, they are rare and very difficult to get, even in the Argentine market-Congrats

·
Registered
658 Posts
Those are gorgeous! Nice stuff there.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
What can one say but........WOW. To find one of those rifles alone in that condition would be a find. but I think you followed a rainbow to those three!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bph9 - they were from a private collection. A very large collection. I had noticed the example with the crest and firgured I'd pick it up even though I have a nice 1891 with crest already, perhaps use one as a trading token in the future for something I don't have. I noticed the other two without crests, and that they were very nice but brushed them off. With that the gentleman said take a closer look at all three son...a really close look. I did and began to haggle on a price immediately.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,291 Posts
bph9 - they were from a private collection. A very large collection. I had noticed the example with the crest and firgured I'd pick it up even though I have a nice 1891 with crest already, perhaps use one as a trading token in the future for something I don't have. I noticed the other two without crests, and that they were very nice but brushed them off. With that the gentleman said take a closer look at all three son...a really close look. I did and began to haggle on a price immediately.
Good gosh! What other jewels did he have hidden in there? Wonderful finds.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks....All are Lowe, Berlin

·
Registered
90 Posts
In researching an 1891 Argentine Ludwig Lowe, and reading every thread, came across this one. Worth bumping this thread for the incredible photos...

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
My very first surplus rifle at age 17 (47 years ago) was a somewhat sporterized 1891 Argentine Mauser. I never got over that thrill, and have been hooked on Mausers ever since. Of all the Mausers, I've always loved the sleek lines of the 1891 rifle and the 'cuteness' of the 1891 carbines. So your three beauties really hit the spot...thank you! bws1944

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
looking at this beauties again...amazing trio, in more than 40 yrs saw only two, and they were battered. I'd like to have just one in my collection-

·
Registered
945 Posts
In researching an 1891 Argentine Ludwig Lowe, and reading every thread, came across this one. Worth bumping this thread for the incredible photos...
Well yeah, I'd say!

I must have miised this one when it went came up originally.

Now, can anyone tell me how to clean drool out of a keyboard?

-Bean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts