Gunboards Forums banner

Argentine Mauser ammo Question

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Beanstrung 
#1 ·
Does anyone Know if the surplus 7.65 ammo thats sometimes available shoots ok or has it got the dead primer problems that Carcano surplus ammo has? Also is it mostly corrosive?

Thanks

TM

#2 ·
Most of the SF arsenal Argentine ammo I have seen from the 70s and 80sa has good, non-corrosive primers. The bad experiences some people have reported include internal corrosion that is not readily observable from the outside. I haven't seen any corrosion in the samples I pulled down, but because a number of people have reported it, I consider it a good practice to pull the bullets on all of the cartridges and inspect them.

#6 ·
I've shot FN and 70's SF ammo without problems, mainly in 1891 rifles and carbines. I have gotten SF rounds that were badly corrided so seperated them for components. If it looks good, I shoot it but monitor the brass for odd expansions.
Opinions range widely with SF ammo. These are mine. Yes, I'm setup to start reloading.
Bill

#7 ·
The surplus SF ammo is "iffy" at best. Only use it in a 1909 (M98-type) action. The FNM, Privi, Hornady, and Norma ammo currently on the commercial market are all very good, and are safe for use in both the 1891 and 1909 actions. Handloading is an even better option for either type action.

#9 ·
The problem lies with the internal corrosion. In some instances, the bullets are "glued" to the inside of the case neck by corrosion build-up inside. This can cause dangerous pressure spikes. Also, the internal corrosion increases the chance of a case-head separation. The 1909's M98-type action has gas diversion features that will deflect the hot gas away from your face, if one of these cases lets go. The 1891 action will send it all right back in your face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.