Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking online at an Argentine 1909 carbine that is for sale here in the UK. It doesn't look too bad from the photos. The number is 001998. The thing that bothers me is the serial number on the bolt. I thought these were stamped on the bolt handle, but this has the last three digits stamped on the flat by the bolt body. Is this something done previously by someone trying to pass off a mismatch as matching or could this be done by the Argentine's in service? It is an Argentine made one, not a DWM made one.
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"The rear sight is graduated to 1400 meters and has a tiny Anchor stamped into the upper face could this be a nautical connection; say the Marines ? "
The guy is a creative writer but thinking a regular Argentine acceptance stamp means it was a naval rifle is a bit funny.

I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to fake an Argentine 1909, although being in the UK I doubt they are very common rifles. Force matched by the Argentine arsenals or just a mismatch is far more likely.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
With that serial number you have an Argentine produced M1909 made in 1948. They often used small parts from German 1909's. Most are a mix of parts.The anchor is merely an identifying stamp and is not marine related. They marked their bolts and receivers differently than the Germans did. Not as valuable as the German produced ones.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.