Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've delved into the idea of installing some sort of wind turbine on my property, to have some emergency power capabilities. I'm not looking to power my whole house, but rather just the essentials like to run the furnace, fridge, well pump, hot water heater. Not that I necessarily will need them all at one time , but at least to have power to take a hot shower, keep warm, keep food from spoiling ,when needed. Notice I didn't mention the stove or lights. I consider those to be secondary considerations, and could make due without electricity in those regards. Anyway, as I mentioned, are wind generators a plausible solution, or are they all hype and not up to the task?

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind Power

This is why I posted this message. I have read alot of negatives concerning wind powered generators. I would probably be better served to find some other power solution.

My power concerns are merely for the outage after a storm scenario where we would need power until the juice comes back on. I am not really concerned with recouping any investment money, however I am not about to drop several thousand $ on a system thats only going to be used sparingly. I'd probably be better served wiht a gas generator as was mentioned. I do however loathe the idea of storing large amounts of gasoline. that will have to always be refreshed.

A homemade wind generator has merit, if only I had the knowhow to do it.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wind turbines.

Yes, I may just have to purchase a gas generator. I was on an informative website last night form a gentleman who constructed his own wind turbine. I did not realize that alot more goes into one of those things than just a generator, some wires, a battery and an invertor. You need a load controller, and a dummy load for the motor to dump excess power to when the batts are charges, etc. And then this person could only power a laptop, and I think an electric razor. For all that effort, the rewards were small. There's no way that I would get what I need from one of those setups. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the gas generator and have an electrician rig a pig tail into my home's electric box so I can switch to the generator when the power goes out.

All this hype about wind power seems to be just that, hype! The benefits fall far short of expense and effort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.