Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upper rifle does not have a makers name and is s/n 21247
Bottom rifle is by Philipp Reeb and is s/n 15358

Both serial numbers are in the range recorded by Jon Speed.
If Oberndorf, no-name would be 1908 production and the Reeb would be 1907.

I am confident that the Reeb is an Oberndorf, follow up in posts below.

Neither are marked as Oberndorf, which is correct for actions sold to the trade.

Photograph Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe that the Reeb is an Oberndorf for several reasons, but this is the deciding factor.
Oberndorf used these narrow gas slots on the bolt until 1903, but they turn up on rifles at later dates such as this one.

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Road surface Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The no name action is not, but the receiver from the Reeb is, if the bottom metal has a corresponding serial number marked on the back magazine wall, it is as well. If you post some pictures any other component markings I might be able to tell if they are mauser

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The no name action is not, but the receiver from the Reeb is, if the bottom metal has a corresponding serial number marked on the back magazine wall, it is as well. If you post some pictures any other component markings I might be able to tell if they are mauser
Reeb does have a matching s/n on the magazine wall. That and the gas ports are what led me to believe it was an Oberndorf commercial action.

What should I picture that is not already shown?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Up to you if you want to picture anything else. If your planning on listing it on GB I would include pictures of the bolt components to show if they are original and correct. As well detailed pictures of the trigger guard and components. (All things I would want to see in a listing)

Regarding the early bolt type, remember that the state arsenals built them up until somewhere in the 1902/1903 period, so the narrow slots are not indicative of exclusively Mauser. Mauser would likely have used up those bolts in commercial production to reduce inventory.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If/when I sell either, I would need to take other pictures of the rifle by itself, so not a problem.

I was responding to your comment "post some pictures any other component markings I might be able to tell if they are mauser" when I replied earlier. Other than any marks on the firing pin(s) I showed all markings. (Took a pic of the Oberndorf s/n on the magazine but I didn't realize it was too blurry to use until I went to post it.)

The Reeb rifle I will keep around for a while. Likely I will sell the no name, but probably as parts. Sadly, it will bring more $$ that way. Have a third, similar rifle that is a reworked GEW also for parts.

·
Registered
All of them
1,572 Posts
Falgrunt, means the magazine would be numbered across the back end of it, that bottom metal doesn’t look Oberndorf to me but the receiver does. The bolt may have had the matching serial before it was altered, any remnants? It appears to be marked to Waffen Klett, likely simply retailed in Bonn.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Falgrunt, means the magazine would be numbered across the back end of it, that bottom metal doesn’t look Oberndorf to me but the receiver does. The bolt may have had the matching serial before it was altered, any remnants? It appears to be marked to Waffen Klett, likely simply retailed in Bonn.
Yes, s/n is in proper location on magazine and same font as action.

Reeb is a known gunmaker. Could have also been a retailer. I have handled both SxS and drillings by Reeb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts