Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I made the misguided decison to change out the original 10rd fixed magazine on my SKS with a 20rd fixed magazine. (One of those with a star stamped on the side). It frequenly jams now. The original magazine was lost when I moved across the country.

I've ordered another "original 10rd fixed" magazine, but I was just wondering if there were any reliable after market magazines that hold more than 10 rounds? (Detached or Fixed).

·
Registered
966 Posts
uif you really want reliability, then go with the 10 and be happy. the detachable mags are usually not too reliable, because you are trying to get the gun to do somehting it was never deisgned to do. The 20's place a lot of spring pressre on the blt, which is was never desigend to have.

the 10 is what it was engineered to have, and that will work fine, so use it and be happy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hard to understand why noone has ever made a reliable hi-cap SKS mag......but that IS the way it is right now for whatever reason.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried one of those 20-rnd "star" magazines years ago, could never get it to feed properly no matter what I adjusted on it.

Not sure if anyone else remembers these (or bought them as well), but around the same time the SKS was plentiful and cheap there was a kit that was designed to replace the fixed magazine with what looked like a normal, detatchable poly 20-rnd mag. The key to this was a small block that had to be attached to the rifle by tapping a screw into the receiver below the chamber.
Never tried drilling into my rifle, and eventually the kits were lost in moving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tried one of those 20-rnd "star" magazines years ago, could never get it to feed properly no matter what I adjusted on it.

Not sure if anyone else remembers these (or bought them as well), but around the same time the SKS was plentiful and cheap there was a kit that was designed to replace the fixed magazine with what looked like a normal, detatchable poly 20-rnd mag. The key to this was a small block that had to be attached to the rifle by tapping a screw into the receiver below the chamber.
Never tried drilling into my rifle, and eventually the kits were lost in moving.
Sounds like the cobray kits. They had 20 and 30 round mags. A block had to be drilled into the gun.
There is a company that makes some nice removable mags. The piece that holds the front of the mags fits in with no screwing needed. :)
DC technologies is the name, here is the site http://www.rifletech.com/ more specifically http://www.rifletech.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=sks4.html and the mag numbers are 44, 45, 451,452,453,454. You can get 5 round to 37 round mags. A little spendy to some - but american made steel.... :)

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
In a word....."NO". Most are cheesey junk stuff that just plain don't work. Heck, with 10 round strippers and some practice, you can shoot 10, strip 10, shoot 10, strip 10 faster than you can screw around with those 30 round junkers while you try and keep them running.....or you can just get you an AK....

·
Copper Bullet member
2,044 Posts
I guess I'm lucky both of my fixed 20s have been 100%.
I never had to mod them either.
(althought I hear you can tweak them to work well)

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 30rd detachable steel mag on my chinese paratrooper that has never failed to fire or jammed or anything. The guy I got it from said it was from "Cabellas" so I'd order from them if you want a reliable steel one. I am not a fan of anything plastic on my rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a detachable steel one that "worked" but I did not remove it I jut fed it w/ clips. The draw back was I could not get my arm under it for support and prone it held the rifle up too high. I prefer the 10 rd "stock" one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tapco 20's are awsome in the chicom and Russian,for some reason NONE work in a Yugo
I've not had any problems with mine in my Yugo. They feed just fine, every time straight out the box. The only mod I had to do was grind the underside of the bolt down to allow them to be inserted with the bolt closed, the mag. feed lips, throat etc are all untouched.

I've yet to try them in my new Chinese, but I suspect I'll have the same lack of problems, so my suggestion to the OP would be to get -one- Tapco and put some rounds through it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My experience with the "Red Star" 20-rd mag is much like videodon's. Bought it from Keng's back in the late '80's when I got a nice surplus Type 56 to play with.

It dropped into that rifle and worked 100%. A few months later I bought a brand new Chinese commercial model (which I still own) and put it on that. Started getting FTFeed malfs. When I compared the way the feed track on the 20 rd. was situated in the receiver to the original there was enough obvious difference to explain it. Once I adjusted the fit to match that of the original the problems went away and have never returned.

It's a p---er that you lost the original mag. IMO the reason that those fixed mags are serially numbered to the rifle is most likely related to their having to have been tweaked at the factory/arsenal in order to produce 100% function in an individual rifle due to the inevitable minor glitches produced by 'stacking' of the generous production tolerances.

Hopefully, if you can get another 10 rd. mag that functions 100% in your rifle and adjust your 20 rd. er's fit to match your problem will be solved too.

All I can tell you for certain is that it worked for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got a 30 rounder that has not given me any problems. Don't see a maker and can't remember where I got it. Also have a Chinese 20 (new) but haven't used it. I could be talked out of them.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The red star mags from Keng's worked great in the past (about the only ones that did back then).The current Tapco ones work great also-but I'm afraid I'm with 'ol Duke on this-get an AK if you want more than 10.I finally broke down and bought some SKSs again ,after swearing off on them for 12 years,fully intending to add on; but left them alone and am enjoying the heck out of them.I wouldn't hog out a wooden stock anymore just to use a higher cap mag as the synthetics are pretty reasonably priced.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
Personally, the three words, (reliable) and (aftermarket mags) absolutely do not go together....!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a fixed 20-round magazine, not star-stamped (but "made in China" is stamped on the bottom). It works fine, provided you only load it to 17 rounds.

jm

1 - 20 of 31 Posts