Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is still actively seeking specific AK related parts/mags/militaria/firearms to fill spaces in a collection, or do you fall into the "that's neat, I'll pick that up" when you stumble across it?

I've already found one long term collector thinning his holdings. Anyone else 'spring cleaning' their stash?

This isn't an offer to buy or sell, I'm wondering if "the hobby" is going away.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
The Obama recovery has really hurt the savings of many people. Many people have had to sell off parts of their collections just to pay the bills. Not so sure its a change in interest.

Last time I checked - I was approaching 200 AK mag variants. If you count different finishes and markings.

The collection has got too large really. Will be thinning the herd in the near future for managability.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have certain rifles I have collected. Most I have built. As far as mags I like the cheap surplus mags. I have a few Russians and a bunch of Chinese but don't really care what country the are from, as long as the work.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,191 Posts
I think collecting has slowed. There are more kits than ever in some regard, But they are not cheap.
The home builder has certainly dwindled and collectors are those with deeper pockets it seems.

There are also cheaper imports by comparison like the PAP rifles and certain Saigas etc.

I still have a pile of AK's and kits. Duno if I'll build all of the kits., but I did buy one of the Apex., M72AB1 Zastava underfolder RPK kits. A very unusual variant with the removable bipod and folding stock.
I have sold off some pretty nice BFPU stocks and extra parts inventory recently. A type III Russian barrel and some krink parts etc.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have to agree with you SfcRet. I DID want to make a Type 56 AK with the folding bayonet out of a Norinco Thumbhole sporter BUT even those are ridiculous in price now!
there isn't much in the way of "pickings", like it was before. not to mention prices for what's out there are now astronomically high. so in a sense it has runned it's course

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Built and sold a ton of stuff . Some raritys that would make you cry ! Prices are too redicilous . 500 for a g kit with original barrel. I had an all matching G kit offered to me for 300 last week and passed. God only knows I don't wana build a darn g kit ! And once built on a NDS receiver you would be lucky to sell it for 600.00 ! My ak collecting is over ! I have what I want and more ! Even after shedding a ton of rare stuff including matching barreled Russian , North Korean and other PLO KITS . Have a beryl clone I'm working on from a base archer and I'm done! Just wanting a single line Bosnian mag , basically a fleur de lis mag without the fleur

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Just wanting a single line Bosnian mag , basically a fleur de lis mag without the fleur

Used to have a dozen or so of those - along with a similar number of the Boyscouts. Sold them for anywhere from $70 to $150 ea. Cost me I think $6 each originally, but then I had to buy 1200+ mags to get them.

Used to be the Boyscouts were worth more - till people figured out the Single-Ribs are rarer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I still look for ak parts mostly newer Russian stuff,I have some Chinese parts i will be letting go soon,the stuff has really gone up in price , and the kits like everyone is saying just cost to much to build now .My last 2 Ak i picked up was a Vepr 7.62x54r 23'' and a 308 in 20'' i haven't even shot them yet.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well the guys in the ban states are using flat building as a way to aquire what is illegal to otherwise purchase . Thus kit prices are insane . Near the cost of a complete rifle. . If the loophole is ener closed prices will come down

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need ask what kind you sold.....I think some have become real collector items and those were taken up about a year and a half ago. There's a few in my safe that never never will be sold. In fact none will be. My new old stock SSR-85B is my safe queen never fired but the others are fun to take out still and I really like wiping they're dirty .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.