Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

I'm cloning a T38 short rifle. I've got a carbine sight, but the inlet in the short rifle stock looks like a standard size sight would fit there. Pictures on the web of short rifle sights look similar to a long rifle, from what I could tell, PAX

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are cut down t38's. That said there are a few specific changes. Is your 38 damaged? A real short shouldn't be hard to find.

Don
Yes it is, beyond repair. It was given to me as a complete long rifle in 1960 by my uncle, liberated when they came ashore on New Guinea. He and my Pops were in the 1st Filipino Regiment. Like a dumb kid in the '60's, I sportered it. I've only recently discovered it's more or less the same length as a short rifle. I'm going to clone it back to milsurp and make a unit display. I have a few T38 & T99 Arisaka rifles and a T38 carbine. PAX

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Echo 1, like Don mentioned, they are cut-down rifles, 5” of it. The barrel was turned down to a smaller o.d. so the hardware could be used (band, sight, bayonet). On a real 38 short rifle, you can make out this barrel step by looking just behind the barrel band, it’s readily noticeable. I think turning the barrel down would be the only hard part.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Echo 1, like Don mentioned, they are cut-down rifles, 5” of it. The barrel was turned down to a smaller o.d. so the hardware could be used (band, sight, bayonet). On a real 38 short rifle, you can make out this barrel step by looking just behind the barrel band, it’s readily noticeable. I think turning the barrel down would be the only hard part.
Thanks fellas. I think with the receiver stripped of the TG the machinist can tackle the job.Picts when it's done, which may take a while. Thanks again. PAX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.