Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting, and studying, the Makarov for just a few months. I purchased my 1961 e. german on a whim 10 years ago, and in the past 6 months I have acquired three 1961 E. germans, two circle 10 bulgarians, and five cz-82's.

I see Baikal Makarovs listed on Gunbroker, but I have not found a wholesaler that selles them.

Are any new manufacture Makarovs being imported into the US? If so, who does this? ( I want to contact the importer)

I am also looking for a Norinco 9x18, a Russian PM at this time. And, I am looking for a source for multiple .380 Makarovs for a local project.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
387 Posts
Makarov's have not been imported into the USA for some time. The Arsenal Factory in Bulgaria was the last known company to produce new Makarovs, and they stopped all production in Aug. 2007. Russia and China have not produced any for several years, and even if they did, they are not able to be imported into the US.

-George

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm picking up new ones when i can, but only if it's a variation i don't have. i got the last of the big four today, a type 59. now I'm down to German commercial ones and the obscure factories.

·
Registered
387 Posts
George, you would know if any one did, but I'm surprised that the Baikal website still shows them.

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/266.html
Baikal has many things listed on their website that are not in current production. However given a large enough order they will produce them. I talked to them at length at the last SHOT Show, and they told me that the Makarov in all its various forms has been out of production in Russia since Early 2005 or so. There is a market for them in the USA, but since they are classified as a "Military Handgun" they can not be imported into the US. Back when Makarov.com was in operation, we tried many times to get some Hicap Makarov mags and replacement parts for the mags....same thing, not in current production, no excess inventory on the shelves to sell, and we could not get approval for them anyway. I was told that since the Makarov is now considered to be a "Third Market" weapon, chances of any new production are VERY slim.

Third Market - Military surplus weapons sold for commerical export or to Countries that use what most military forces consider to be outdated or obsolete weapons. Either these places do not have the $$ to upgrade their weapons, or it is not considered a high enough proiority to spend the Money on. First Market would be new production to fill a military contract, Second market is new production for commerical export, or modifing military weapons for commerical export.

Examples from Baikal would be:

Select fire AK rifles - First Market
Baikal Single and Double rifles made for Remington, exported to the USA - Second Market
Surplus PM's sold to anyone of a dozen African countires and wannbe warlords - Third market

_George

·
Gold Bullet member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baikal...

I checked with the Baikal website and their US Distributor is European American Armorment Corp. I called EAA regarding the importation of Baikal's and was told they do not meet the requirements for import.

Of course this is curious, because the gun industry imports Berettas, Taurus, Glocks, CZ's, etc. and although thosecompanies have US operations, they do a lot of overseas manufacturing.

So what is the requirement to bring in new pistols? They are obviously being made overseas still.

Hmmmmm..

Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Empire Arms has some Soviet PM: http://64.82.96.51/pistols.htm

the prices seem high for those russians. is this the norm? I wonder how much I would save when they get more stock in? I signed up for their email pre-website alerts.

When you're the only retailer in the US that has them, you can pretty much set the price to whatever you want. There will be no more of them.

Your only other option is to hope to "luck" into one in a pawnshop for half the price. That's what I'm hoping for. Won't likely be as nice as what Empire Arms has though.

And at the rate I see maks in pawnshops these days, I fear my collection will forever be lacking a chinese and russian military mak. :(

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I checked with the Baikal website and their US Distributor is European American Armorment Corp. I called EAA regarding the importation of Baikal's and was told they do not meet the requirements for import.

Of course this is curious, because the gun industry imports Berettas, Taurus, Glocks, CZ's, etc. and although thosecompanies have US operations, they do a lot of overseas manufacturing.

So what is the requirement to bring in new pistols? They are obviously being made overseas still.

Hmmmmm..

Dan
http://www.ttb.gov/rpd/tdatf6.htm

·
Gold Bullet member
3,258 Posts
All we can hope for are Makarovs coming from Cuba, Zimbabwe or Vietnam in the future if: A) any of those countries have a sudden switch in leadership and B) their import isn't blocked by some sort of law. Needless to say, it's a slim to none sort of proposition.

We can always hope for the "mythical" Libiyan Makarovs and the much rumored "last batch" of East German Makarovs turning up.
Maybe ask Santa nicely and it will come true!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.