Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for a dumb question. I was under the impression that TGI assembled their guns from parts kits. However, I thought that some of the PSLs coming in the country were assembled in Romania and then shipped here. Today I was treated like a fool by someone who should have known better. This dealer told me that all PSLs, and AKs etc... for that matter, are made from parts kits since it is now illegal to import assualt type rifles into the country. So did I miss something regarding the PSL?

Thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,156 Posts
Well, from the sound of it the dealer couldn't find water if you threw him in the ocean ;) SOme are made by TGI here in the States, some by Century to as well then of course those that are are made in Romania at Cugir ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You'll find both Romanian AKs and PSLs that were built in Romania as complete rifles and the US, from kits. I think it's more a matter of availability than anything and Century seems to be the main source for them. I'm guessing, either they don't get enough shipped in from Romania to meet demand, or they can do it from kits for the same or less money. The AKs that are imported, are done so as "sporting" rifles, with single stack magazines and then modified, stateside, to high cap rifles (as in the case of the "WASR"). The PSL, so far as I'm aware, doesn't accept a high cap mag (I've never heard of a PSL mag that holds over ten rounds), so I don't think that applies to them. I'm willing to bet that there are more imported Romanian built guns, on Romanian receivers, in this country than there are kit builds on U.S. receivers.

John

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Plus one to Joop's remarks.
Also, the PSL, using a full-size cartridge, is actually a Battle Rifle, not an Assault Rifle. The fact that 99% of "Assault Rifles" are semi-auto, cuts them out of being Assault Rifles as well, anyway. Yeah, wa-a-a-ay more are Cugir (Romanian) built than US built, I would think.

Also, +1 on your Rocket Scientist Dealer. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the confirmation.

This dealer has the best selection and prices in the area but the worst attitude and arrogance. I just wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn't missing anything before I did some schooling.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Arrogance usually puts my right on down the highway. I am not a small guy, and my background and training, as well as my "attitude" puts me in the smart ass column, pretty quickly. I'll pay more at a different shop just to avoid the hassle with the police for kickin' some smart asses' tail. Either that, or I simply buy what I want and leave with little "small talk", if the prices are THAT good. They HAVE to be damned good for me to put up with it. Know-it-alls usually know very little, when you run the "test" at them. Sounds to me like this clown has no local competition. I'd ride my scoot to the next town, probably.

·
Silver Bullet member
187 Posts
TWKell Which scope did you put on your PSL? Did the mount come with it or did you use the one from the old scope?
Bob

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The one from the old scope? I'm puzzled by that question. Sorry.

I put an 8x42D POSP, from Kalinka, on it for daylight use. They come with the mount integral to the scope, tho they are changeable between AK, SVD and Russian Standardized Optics Mounting System rail attachments (the lower portion of the mount). Been happy ever since. I highly recommend them. Mine is the old grey style that has a rubber cover for the front bell and the threaded sun shade tube. I don't care for the flip-up type dust covers.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I would say more are made in Romania. I think Cugir and other US companies are guilty of throwing together a firearm from buckets of parts. I am positive my PSL was made in Romania, all numbers match accept the recoil assembly and the safety lever. Which the parts arent' scrubbed or marked out in any way. I did notice on some of the WASR's the covers were scrubbed and reprinted. But, so what... Heh, and everybody is gawking over the G stamped WASR. Psshh knowing alot of Romanians and the way they think. Hell they are probably banging them on there just to get us to buy it. Hell I don't know why they just don't stamp BAD ASS RIFLE on it... Believe it or not people would buy the heck out of it... whew its late....

·
Registered
429 Posts
From my studies, the PSL's made in Romania seem to be the most sought after. For some reason (drunk monkey), the PSL's made stateside have even less QC then those made in Cugir.

I've read on some other forums about US made ones being shipped and being loaded with issues.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
As with many milsurp weapons, there are "points in time" where "issues" are discussed, or mentioned. Quite often, these issues are isolated, yet cause a certain weapon or point of manufacture of that weapon to be suspect. I have a dreaded Tennessee Guns PSL that has had zero problems as has been the case with the 15-20 of those rifles that we had. I have had the same discussion about WZ-88's (Tantals) from Century. We bought about 40 of those, and never saw a single case of keyholing. This leads me to believe that it's either A: a crapshoot; or B: a case of Chicken Little-ism which causes many of these "issues" to be discussed. I'm not saying that the problems don't exist, I simply can't verify the commonality of occurance. I have had quite a bit of dealings with these weapons that have been the "problem children" of our hobby, and have not seen the issues discussed (canted sights, canted gas blocks, improper barrel diameters, etc.) in any great numbers.

In contrast, I have seen many, many more of the Cugir produced PSL's to have these problems that have been attributed to TG. In my experience, I would have to say the opposite of what so many have posted. I would shy from a Cugir build, and have never owned one, because of that. I have owned 7 or 8 PSL's and an SVD. I kept an OLD PSL that is a TG build. I've been shooting it since 03 or 04, and use her, day and night for 'yote and deer. She has never given me any problems.

I always recommend that you buy a gun face-to-face. I don't like internet purchases of guns with the exception of my MN's as I usually only buy selected guns chosen for oddity of year or other distinguishing feature, when it comes to them.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
Tennessee Gun is no longer in the firearm assembly business. Some of their early assembled rifles did have some issue with rivet quality and a few with headspace as I read and recall,
I do not thjink there are any PSL rifles built on US receivers except perhaps the latest IO offerings and the recent squareback US receiver produced by NDS for Tennessee Gun. Those receivers were then sold to the folks a Waffen Werks whio produce a few models including the AK54r short rifle inthe 54r cartridge on a squareback receiver.
Both US and Romanian assembled rifles have experienced some fit and finish issues. The parts are the same just different points of assembly.
IO is the exception as they do tend to create weapons with more US manufactured parts. Their build qulity is adequate..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.