Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at a shop today. It was labeled as .308 and thought the Arabic characters looked neat, so I bought the two boxes that were there. Each box contained 15 rounds, though one box was missing a round. Any idea where it came from? Thanks!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
It is Syrian. Can't tell yet whether it's 7.5 or 7.62. You will have to show the top label or the headstamp.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shoot, I had a feeling it is 7.5 after searching the forum. I've never really seen it before and it looked very similar to 7.62x51. I was actually hoping to shoot some out of my Israeli Mauser if it was 7.62x51, but that's why I asked here first before I caused myself any misfortune shooting it, ha! I don't have a good camera on me, so I can't get a headstamp picture, but here is the top of the box. It's kinda mangled and old but it's the best shot I can get if it helps.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sorry about the incorrect ID. I meant Syrian manufactured 7.5 MAS (French).
If it is 7.5x54, it won't chamber in a 7.62x51, unless there's some serious headspace issues.
It looks an awful lot like the 7.5 ammo boxes I've got here, without pulling one out of storage to verify the print on the label.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Label says "7.62".... so the box is Syrian 7.62x51mm. Note it has CORROSIVE / Berdan primers and some lots of this ammo have the shoulder a bit to far forward for NATO spec. and thus they may show resistance when you try to close the bolt on 7.62 and may not chamber at all in .308 chambered weapons.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
Ditto. It's crappy ammo, but it is 7.62x51...more or less.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Suppose I'll use it (if it chambers, haha!) and clean it very well when I'm not. My Israeli bore is pretty pristine so it would be a shame to ruin it.

Just curious, anyone know why Syria was making 7.62x51? I thought they were a Soviet client state? Did they use anything chambered for that round?

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Suppose I'll use it (if it chambers, haha!) and clean it very well when I'm not. My Israeli bore is pretty pristine so it would be a shame to ruin it.

Just curious, anyone know why Syria was making 7.62x51? I thought they were a Soviet client state? Did they use anything chambered for that round?
Alot of the world was "Soviet Friendly" but had NATO chambered weapons ( ie African rebel factions/Central american 'neestas etc.) Syrian, Bulgarian, and Czech factories made 7.62x51mm for these commies and any one else needing this caliber ammo.

Remember everyone trains on the "other guys" weapons.... Lake City made 7.62x39mm ammo in the 1960s and we sure were not using AKs as an issue weapon...but our allies were, and we had Beaucoup GIs that needed to train a bit on Aks before going to SE Asia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.