Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just looking at my sig m400, and decided to check it out. I slowly and gently rode the bolt home with the charging handle, with an empty mag inserted to give the bolt some pressure, and managed a couple of times to get the bolt to not go fully into battery. The carrier was back maybe 1/8th of an inch. I would pull the trigger, and the hammer would fall, pushing the bolt forward and into battery. I believe this means it is capable of firing out of battery, am I correct? I also tried using the forward assist and it too pushed it into battery, but that is supposed to happen.

These are almost new rifles, so I am not that worried about it really. Anyone ever see an oob with an AR?

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
I used to be able to do this on my M16, and others, when I was a range coach. One reason why we tell Marines to NEVER ride the bolt home. There is no need to do so. Also, there is nothing present in the trigger mechanism or bolt to keep this from happening.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
I believe that the design of the AR15 prevents the firing pin from making contact with the primer unless the bolt is fully closed. Please note that I am not 100% certain on this point, but that's what I remember without checking the proper sources.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.